Yellowing, crunchy heirloom tomatoe

Santa Barbara, CA

Hello community,
My heirloom tomato plants were doing so well!! All of a sudden out of nowhere the leaves started yellowing and turning very crunchy. I have no idea what's going on! I tend to water every other day-4days depending on how the weather is. It's kept in a large "smart pot" and spends the majority of its time enjoying he California coastal sun. Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks!

Thumbnail by Alesku857 Thumbnail by Alesku857
SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Did you recently put fertilizer on that tomato plant? If so, how much?

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

Here is a lot of info about tomatoes. I wonder if it is a disease.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/GARDEN/VEGES/tomato.html

Santa Barbara, CA

No fertilizer on this plant!

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Do you see any webbing?

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

Are the fruits looking OK? I kind of see something in the background that looks green with paler stripes. Is this right for this variety?

I see at least 2 things going on with the leaves.

The major thing is the brown tip with yellow, advancing up the leaf.
This is typical of salt damage Many fertilizers, and manures can contribute salts to the soil. Not just sodium chloride, but any of several other materials that are chemically similar to sodium chloride in their behavior. Salts can come in with the water, too. Best treatment is to flood and flush out the root zone. Salts are reasonably water soluble, so keep them moving.
There may be something else going on, this is not the only possibility.

The other think I see is small, irregular patches. Could be a disease or a spot where a small insect ate part of the leaf. So small, the bug just ate one surface of the leaf.

Did you go through the link to UC Davis? There are a lot of possibilities there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.