Clear soaps - how can I make my own glycerine?

Greeley, CO(Zone 5a)

I have been making Cold Process soap off and on for three years now, and so far I've been reasonably successful. I have space limits, and financial ones, but I love to experiment with new oils, butters, fragrances, and color techniques in my soap, and for the sake of experimentation, my batches are small - usually around 2lbs.

However, one thing with which I have not been successful was rendering my own glycerine. I'd like to make glycerine-based clear soaps, and liquid soaps. And lotions. And all sorts of other stuff. But I pretty stridently object to melt-and-pour that you can just... buy off a shelf. That takes all the fun out.

I have only tried rendering vegetable glycerine once, but it was a disaster that set into a hideous blob of Castille soap, burned a hole in my glove, and had to be thrown away.

Bearing in mind that I am best equipped to deal with small-batches using oils that you can find at Walmart (peanut, coconut , sunflower, olive etc.), does anyone have a reliable method for rendering vegetable glycerine? I would love to move forward in my soap making.

Please help.

This thread has 3 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!