WANTED; Marglobe Tomato Seeds...

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Do you have any, and would you entertain a trade?

Linda

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have a few in my storage , they are several years old from my garden , This for many years was one of my favorite Tomatoes ,
They do not grow well here where I am though ,,
Because Dozens of Tomato Varieties have been developed from these , careful choice for seed stability from a plant of your choosing is necessary .
If you still want them , I will send them along ,LMK ..

Ju

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Quote from juhur7 :
I have a few in my storage , they are several years old from my garden , This for many years was one of my favorite Tomatoes ,
They do not grow well here where I am though ,,
Because Dozens of Tomato Varieties have been developed from these , careful choice for seed stability from a plant of your choosing is necessary .
If you still want them , I will send them along ,LMK ..

Ju

Juhur7,
Please explain "...careful choice for seed stability..." Ohhhhhhhhh. Do you mean if I want to further save my own seeds? Ok, I'll choose from the best plant/fruit to save any future seeds.

YES, YES, YES!!!! I'd sure like to have them!!! I'll send a d-mail!

Thanks, sooooooooooooo much!

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

Is it my imagination but looking through the garden catalogs this year there seems to be many new varieties and less of the old standards. The new varieties seem to be mimicking the older varieties. Has Semenis Seed bought them up and put patents on them? I heard Monsanto/Semanis was trying to do this. Have they finally patented them?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

When I first got them about 1968 they were offered through Northrup King ,
I don't even know if Gymgirl got any of them to grow ,
I grew them for years , loved them and three variations that came from them ,
I grew them to get the split budding that would produce twice the tomatoes and a good solid plant ,
I have never seen them anyplace since , found one company that had them in storage , but a firm No was their reply to me ,
as for above riecke , it's possible

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Victory Seeds, Baker Creek and Burpee all offer Marglobe seeds.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I was talking about an old variety named "Supermarket" (oops )

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Marglobe was an old tomato my dad had contract growers produce for his wholesale produce business. I remember endless miles of Marglobes banked between drainage ditches in Homestead. It was one of the earliest tomatoes grown for its attractive shape and thick skin which made it a good market tomato. Why is it desireable for the home garden? I don't recall it being memorable.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

MaypopLaurel For the reason it keeps well , wrapped for months , at seasons end , It makes good juice and paste , In the right conditions as you said , a sturdy plant , with a rightly good production ,
Good fresh sliced when fresh ripened ,
all these are good for a garden also

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Marglobe tomatoes - Try Crosmanseed.com.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.