My rhizomes are rotting due to Rain.

Toms River, NJ(Zone 7a)

I just went out to the garden to do an inspection. It began to rain again. I noticed a number of my TB iris rhizomes are rotting due to the rain. I fear I will be digging up a lot of rotted iris rhizomes.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Sorry to hear that. Some of mine are rotting because I have a broken arm and hav not been able to weed the beds or trim back bloom stalks. I even found a borer today while poking around. Once I can use my arm effectively again I will have my work cut out for me

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Some of mine are in standing water. My solution is to go and buy another bag of Miracle Gro potting soil and pot them up and put them on the deck where I can check their progress. I know it will dry out eventually.

Saginaw, MI

NJIrisGuy & Mittsy, SUPER UGH is all I can say to you two --- went through the exact same thing in the past years and pretty much lost all of my iris -- managed to save a handful but were very tiny and have not done anything since then. My suggestion is dig them as soon as you can ---- I could not dig mine as they were in approx. 3 inches of standing water while the temps dropped to 34 degrees at night and by the time I could get them out it was too late. They were really super soft and mushy and would not dry out . Tried potting up many of them ( my iris bed was 65 feet long and 30 feet wide ) all that time, effort -not to mention $ -- all gone. I literally was so disappointed that I did NOTHING with that area for the last two years but now am trying to start over -- have a super large tree close to that area and a fire hydrant -- the tree roots cause problems every so often and the front portion of the yard will flood (but not even close to where flower bed was ) at least never before until that time !!! City also worked on fire hydrant at that time and let it run which caused the flooding to reach almost up to the front of our house which therefore completely covered our flowers. We were not in town at the time and came home to a situation I was NOT happy about .
So by the time I got to them it was too late. So now to start over -- AHHHHH --

Saginaw, MI

iowhen, so sorry to hear you can't get out to work in your gardens. Not being able to do things for yourself is not fun. too bad there is not someone living close to you that could help out. Very frustrating .

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks, one family from a local gardening group came out one morning and they helped get out the biggest, gnarliest weeds that needed to be spaded out. I gave them divisions of some perennials that they liked. Several others responded that they would help, but never showed. I have even offered to pay a few teens more than minimum wage to come help with tasks. Got one nibble for two hours of work. Others seemed to be interested, but have not actually been back out to work. I live in the middle of town, so not hard to reach by bike or foot. I guess maybe kids these days prefer to be indoors with their screens? I thought I could entice them with cash. LOL

I have gotten to the edges of the main iris bed, working in slowly. I get a little discouraged at how much longer it takes me to do just a little.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.