Need help with landscaping.

Ben Lomond, AR

Hi all.

I am hoping to get some insight for landscaping in my front yard. My husband and I just got a new roof and after painting the siding we want to do something in this area. It is shaded most of the day gets MAYBE 2 hours of sun in the evening.

We are both completely new when it comes to designing and planning yard things. So we will take all thoughts into consideration. Along with forums I post in and as much research as I can possibly do we are hoping to make this area look great.

In this area there are a few things that we HAVE to incorporate and some things that we want to add. So ideas with these in mind would be great.

If you look at the picture you will see that in the top right is where all the water runoff is for that side of the house. After years of the previous owners just letting it run off it floods there now and sits against the house and porch. Under that runoff we need to put a water container barrel. I will be able to water the plants and use that water for some of the animals.

All of the stumps you see we will be cutting them down and removing them. The tree will be staying. The red line is where we are hoping the edge of the bed will be.

My husband would like to line the outside with thick "pavers" (I call them stepping stones), he said we would put the paper or plastic down in that area and build it up with soil and mulch and he want the whole thing lined with the "pavers". (Yellow line)

I would love to fit in a birdbath if possible.

Any suggestions or links or even photos would be great help. We have a long ways to go in landscaping for this house. Just trying to do one spot at a time.

(Any suggestions on house siding color?)

Thanks all. Can give more photos or info if needed just ask.

According to http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/# I am in Zone 8a : 10 to 15 (F).

The area is about 240 inches (house) x 139 inches (porch)

This message was edited Jun 15, 2015 10:55 AM

Thumbnail by smithfamily10 Thumbnail by smithfamily10 Thumbnail by smithfamily10
Ayrshire Scotland, United Kingdom

Enlarge the picture of the area you want to landscape, stick this onto a large board and then cover the picture and board with tracing paper, I use baking parchment (greaceproof baking paper we buy on rolls.
Then take your measurements, draw these onto the tracing paper, on right side of paper, note down ALL the things you have to take care off like water buts (you mentioned for watering) any overhead cables, any underground cables or drains, Telephone, Electric, any other water courses that need care.

I would get or do a soil test, you can buy a testing kit that only costs about 10 dollars most, and can be used for years. If you have had water run off for many years, I would imagine there wont be much fertility left in the soil, BUT you can add goodness to your soil by adding humus, Lime, Peat etc, all depending on the PH the soil testing kit tells you is deficient within the soil structure.

There are loads of plants that can be grown in light shade AND dampish soil, all depending on what you like regarding plants / shrubs / climber etc.

Back to your plan your trying to make on the board, draw in the shapes of beds, flagstones etc that you want, add the brid-house or bath / feeding station.
Add any framework you require to grow climbers on the wall BUT, make sure you cater for any maintenance required for the future regarding the sidings, I always have a thick bit of wood added to the wall low down then add the actual frame by attaching the bottom using hinges, and screws at the top, it makes it easier to drom the framework down with the growth attached so you can do any paintwork etc you need in a few years time. with care, the plant will tolerate being laid down so long as it is tied onto the frame, you might have to do some pruning BUT it is easier than having to cut the plant down to the base and perhaps loose it.

Try incorporate a narrow pathway against the walls to allow roof, drainpipes or wall painting to be done so you have solid footings or saves your plants being crushed.

You may want to add a handrail onto the patio area and this allows plants to grow upwards also making the area more private.

Depending on soil PH there are plants to look at for nice ease of care and are nice looking.

Astilbe Colours red, pink, cream about 8 inch tall
Hosta,s, lovelt green leaf with small purple flowers, some have variegated leaf colours, different heights.
Iris, some and have to check for ones that like damp soil, different colours.
Mimulus, small low growing, spreads out, orange, pink, yellow flowers height 3-5 inches tall.
Bergenia, lush green leaf some with dark red marking, pink, red flowers spreads out, 6-12 inch tall
Digitalis , tall leafy flowering spikes , sends seeds out and grow, pink, purple, yellow, white with spots, grows 2 feet height.Hellebour's, lovely Pink, red, cream white, all have markings on flowers.Vinca, ground cover, purple, while flowers,

There are others BUT it all depends on how wet your soil will get, all the above like shade, some Rhododendrons like shade BUT not wet soil long term'

To make the shapes of patio paving, or shaping of beds, use your garden hose to outline the shape, circles, half moon square oblong etc, the hosepipe makes it easier to reshape if your not happy, dont forget to look at the shapes from all angles inside and outside.

Get back when you need more help and others will also come in and maybe have different ideas from mine, so by offering more pictures or ideas you want, there will be stuff that everyone will be able to help you with.
Good Luck and kindest Regards.
WeeNel.

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

I am not sure I understand where you want things. Here is a concept.

Next to the house a planter area. Larger around the tree, tucked in pretty narrow (2-3') near the wall.
Next to the porch a step down (match other side).
Between the steps a planter with flowers, perhaps a small vine to climb the trellis.
Most of the area could be a paver patio.

Pavers are shaped concrete, sort of like brick, though they are getting more creative, making some stone shaped pavers. Used in a large area, placed close (touching) to make patio or walkway. Installation involves excavating soil and installing a special kind of rock that compacts, then a dusting of sand, then the pavers. Broom over the pavers with sand or a specialty product that will work its way between the pavers so they won't shift.

Flagstone is irregular shapes of rock, flat, but otherwise not shaped. 2-3" thick if you are not mortaring them down on top of concrete.
They can be set down individually, spaced out as a walkway (30-36" on center) or can be placed closer to make an informal patio. Often plants are planted between the stones to make a living patio. Select large stones (50 lb minimum) otherwise they shift or may break.

Thumbnail by Diana_K

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.