Who did this? weed trimmer?

austin, TX

After mow and trimmed the lawn, I found my plant was cut.
Is this trace of weed trimmer or something?

Thumbnail by mensyzansu Thumbnail by mensyzansu Thumbnail by mensyzansu Thumbnail by mensyzansu Thumbnail by mensyzansu
Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

That is a very sharp, clean cut.

Were you using a string line trimmer? Damage is not usually that clean.
Were you using a trimmer with blades? Could well be.

austin, TX

I asked Lawn service people to cut.
So, I don't know what kind of trimmer they used.

I was wondering if they did it by accident or some kids in neighbor did it on purpose.

Ayrshire Scotland, United Kingdom

OK so phone the company up that did the garden work and ask them what type of tools were used while working in the garden. dont at first stage say you have damaged plant.
IF blades were used, then that is the culprit, IF NOT you need to find another idea.

It looks to me like a blade has been used, and I cant see any lawnmower being able to cut that high BUT hay you never know. I have a very large garden and all our landscape tools are like the industrial sizes, we have a brush cutter that gets the spool of plastic line removed and we then use a circular blade, this is the type of blade that could have cut right through your plant.

It's has been a blade rather than a plastic line, the plastic lines crush the stems whereas the blades cut like a saw or knife.

I have not got a good enough picture of your damaged plant, BUT there is a probability that you could repair the broken part of the stem, either cut and tidy up the splintered area of the growing part of the stem (attached to the parent) and this will help the plant send out new side shoots.

It's a lesson well learned for next time you ask for gardening work to be done, explane you already had damage done and DONT want any more.

Hope this helps you find the cause.
Good Luck and Kind Regards.
WeeNel.

austin, TX

Thank you Mr. or Ms. WeeNel.

They come every two weeks. So I am going to ask if they use blade one next time. Probably blade. I looked closer at the edge of grass and brick.

I feel better if it was just a accident.
This plant is Rosa banksiae and very vigorous.

I put some taped on trunk like aircraft mechanic repair with duct tape.
I hope it works.

Ayrshire Scotland, United Kingdom

Your welcome, we all need some help at sometime when gardening.
I feel sure once you point out what has happened, the garden squad will be more careful in future.
IS there any way you could add another tier of bricks to that part so the garden tools used have less chance of harming any plant within the brick boundary, only a suggestion, and it might save other plants later.
Good luck and kind Regards.
WeeNel.

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

I have landscapers too and especially on spring time they used the Blower and I saw my seedling being battered , so I decided to buy some flags and place them in an area I do not want them to go in. My hubby found them at a hardware store and I place them all over my garden.

Here are the pictures of the flags .

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf
austin, TX

I am going to stack the bricks.

And Yes, I have been using flags but believe it or not, thay still run orver my plants.
They thought the flags are for warter line or gas line.
So I have to use a ton of glags like picture.

When I got my precious young little persimmon, I put tomato cage, and then covered with chicken wire.
I am battling against deer, small animals, my own dogs and my landscapers.
They are annoy but it's OK.

If landscaper cut my persimmon, I just wail hysterically and say "You're fired!!" though.

Thumbnail by mensyzansu

Yes I use the bricks with the curly edge so it makes a nice design and they can use their weed walker along the base of the brick edging and I also put my plants away from the edge so when they spread they do not hang over . We have to be one step ahead of them because I need them to do the grass. My yard is street to street property and is too much work for hubby and I .I 7 garden beds and they all have brick edging.

austin, TX

I talked to them but I don't know now.
They were using string looking thing today.
They have 4 trimmers on their utility trailer.
I saw 3 string trimmers.
One of them were not sure if it was blade type or not.
He didn't answer clearly if he used blade type last time.
He said he doesn't know. Could be accident. And he will be careful.
They have made many mistakes(I have never complained to them) but I don't know about this time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.