My spearmint is not healthy.

Miami Beach, FL

I don't really know much about gardening. That said I've been doing a lot of research as to why my spearmint plants leaves are curling downwards and turning brown at the tips. I don't know if it's root rot, Anthracnose, too much/little light, or heat. I live in Miami a six story apartment that faces north. Where the plant is only gets direct sunlight during the evening. The entire apartment is kept air conditioned at about 70 degrees. Any suggestions?

Thumbnail by Kairos
Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

Does the container have drainage?
While mint thrives in damp soil, it must not be stagnant. The roots need oxygen as well as water.
Use a container with drainage holes. Thoroughly soak the soil, then allow it to drain out. Let the top get just a little dry between watering.

Mint grows well in a part shade situation in the garden. A bright shaded spot in the garden is a lot brighter than indoor lighting, though, and my mint is growing well in full sun.
You might need to add a grow light to increase the light.

Miami Beach, FL

Ok thank you. Originally I had marbles in the bottom of the container to allow separation of water, but the water was still pretty saturated so I punched holes in the bottom and added a drainage dish. I'll look into a light. Do you think it is showing symptoms of rot?

Not rot, yet, but the off color suggests the roots are having a hard time.
The plastic rim hinted that maybe you are using a container without drainage.

Miami Beach, FL

Yeah and I was over watering. I cut the lowest leaves off today because they were fully hanging. There is also new growth on top so I'm going to keep a close eye on it.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

See the middle picture, which illustrates what happens when you use a "drainage" layer in combination with soils that hold notable volumes of perched water.

Al

This message was edited Jun 11, 2015 9:26 PM

Thumbnail by tapla
Miami Beach, FL

I repotted my spearming into a clay pot that's a bit bigger and has more traditional drainage. I then moved it onto the balcony where it would get direct sunlight in the morning and evening. Here is how it looks now.

Thumbnail by Kairos
Gulfport, FL(Zone 10a)

Great work, Kairos, I'm happy for you and your spearmint! If you trim the top now and then it will bush out, too. The leaves not only make a good tea -- fresh is wonderful but dried is stronger and goes further -- but fresh in salads. I put a few leaves in my cool bedside water and the oils infiltrate. It is so refreshing.

Great recovery!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm a Miami Beach native from Biscayne Point and amazed you can grow mint. Good for you! It will be happier come Miami winter. Learn how to propagate your plant and get more going. It's going to be a challenge to get it through summer/fall.

Miami Beach, FL

Thank you all for the words of encouragement. I have a new issue now. My plant doesn't seem to want to stand upright. I'm guessing that the light isn't an issue because it has been going crazy, branching out from all of the lower nodes. The stem just doesn't seem to want to thicken. Should I trim the top to lighten the load? If so, where to I cut? Just above a node?

Thanks in advance.

You can trim it right above a node. It will then send energy into the side growth.
Put the trimmed off part in water, or plant it back into the pot. It will root and grow, thickening your mint plant.

IME mint is not that much of an upright plant. It sort of starts off growing up, then leans over. Where it touches the ground it can root and this is one way that it spreads.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.