How to keep seedling soil temp at 80-90*F?

Natick, MA

hi,

I got pepper seeds with the instruction to set them inside and to keep the soil temp constant between 80 to 90*F. The seeds are from a hot pepper plant (Carolina Reaper).
My question- how can I maintain that soil temp? Also, really how much of an impact has a constant temp between these boundaries for the plant in later development cycles?

Thank you very much for your answers!

Michael

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

You could purchase a heat mat to regulate the soil temp. Or, pot them on top of your water heater or fridge. Our, just put them in the warmest room you have, and wait.

I run my repurposed, moistened seedling mix thru an old microwave to sterilize it. 15 minutes, then, I fluff it up, and let it cool only enough to handle filling the seed trays. I work fast! Fill the cells, drop the seeds, and shove the trays into large, clear plastic bags, or, dry cleaner bags. Once they're in, I close them up (vent them a little by leaving one end partially open or poking a few holes in the top). Then, l put them on the floor under my light stand, in the dark.

Soon as I see the first seedling peep, I remove the bags, and under the lights they go!

Hope this helps!

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

I am sure a degree or 2 won't be a problem, nor a reasonable variation between day and night temperatures.
Too cool, and they are slow to sprout and more subject to disease. I do not know that it makes much difference to the final plant, those that do make it will be OK. It just lowers your sprouting success rate.
Heat mats, starting with warm soil, and finding a location that is a few degrees warmer, and more consistent a temperature are all good ideas.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.