Sunroom in Florida

Englewood, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi, I would like to create a place that allows me to grow a few tropical plants with a seating/relax area. It will be at the other side of the pool age, which is an odd but the only possible place. Seeing the sky is a must (glass ceiling) and I want to have the opportunity to air the place easily, with a misting system above the orchids, and a dripping system for the medinillas. I came to the conclusion that an orangerie/sunroom is probably what I am looking for. Perhaps I am mistaken and a greenhouse would be better. I wonder about hurricanes as it is quite windy in my backyard.I worry about the heat, as it will be at the south end and I am in the 10a zone. Does anyone like to share their experience with me about such kind of rooms in south Florida?
Heleen

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Sunroom VS Greenhouse. Hmmm.... I live in Reno, NV but moved from Central California a couple years ago. I had a greenhouse there and have a greenhouse at my current home also.

It seems that a Sunroom (or Solarium) and Greenhouse are all different words for the same product.

But, you are describing an area that is going to be wet. So don't worry about what you are calling it, worry about drainage and cooling.

If you call if a Sunroom or a Solarium a permit may be required. If you call it a Greenhouse, you can usually get away without permits. Anything attached to an existing building will need a permit.

Whatever you build needs to be attached to the ground and engineered to withstand the wind. In my area, my greenhouse is sitting on a concrete foundation that is anchored 18 inches into the ground and can withstand a 100 mph wind (130 mph ultimate). We had winds of 95 mph in December and its still standing.

Cooling is accomplished with misters and fans. You can drop the temperature 20 or 30 degrees with a swamp cooler but will you want to sit in there? In your location, is a misting system really necessary? If you do use a mister, the fans are mandatory. If you don't keep the air moving around your plants, everything will be covered in mold in about a week.

Drainage in concrete floors or a brick and sand floor will keep your room from turning into a swimming pool.

Summing it up: Electricity and a water source, drainage, air circulation and wind sheer. Heating in the winter.

Good Luck!

Daisy

Englewood, FL(Zone 10a)

Thank you Daisy for taking the time to reply.
And for your valuable advise and insights. I had not thought of the need of permits. I live in a deed free area, but that doesn't exclude me from the need of permits o.c.
I think a watering or misting system is needed for the winter, and specially if it would be a glass window pane construction. (Incl. a well working ventilation system). Though I'm told by orchid fanatics in my region that a dark screened pool cage works better than a greenhouse.
The original contracter who build my house, will give me advice on concrete foundations. I'm all for well anchoring everything.

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

I was wondering if a screen house would be better for your orchids. My cousin lives in Crawfordville and his orchids hang in trees around his house most of the year. They are quite stunning. Glass is a problem as the your orchids will sunburn. You will have to use shade cloth or whitewash to keep your orchids from frying.

My greenhouse is constructed from 5-wall polycarbonate (it gets really cold here) which has a light transmission of 64%. That means only 64% of the sunshine gets through; the rest is blocked by the plastic but I have to also use 30% shade cloth. So of the 64% of the light coming through the plastic, another 30% is blocked by the shade cloth. Calculating all that out, only about half the light makes it to the plants but Its still incredibility bright in there. I have some big plants hanging just under the ceiling that put the orchids in shade.

Daisy

Englewood, FL(Zone 10a)

Id like to sit smack in the yard, even in the summer when it rains a lot. Hence the glass... But it seems best to do something part glass and part screened.

I put orchids in my neighbours oaks, and a few air plants. Can't wait to see if they attach themselves.

Do you remove the shade cloth in the winter? If it is very cold I suppose then there is not much sun.

I Am thinking of 20/20 screens and use either an extra shade cloth for some of the plants, or put them under other plants.

Heleen

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Hi Heleen,

I do take the shade cloth off in the winter time. My latitude is almost 40* (yours is 26*). Although this is a very sunny area (on average, the sun shines 250 days a year) the sun swings far enough south (I guess its us that are swinging north) that my greenhouse has the perfect amount of sunshine in the winter.

In the summer, you can get a sunburn in there without shade cloth and that's with 35% of the light blocked by the plastic walls. I add 20% shade cloth and additionally, I have large plants sitting above my orchids.

The cold is a different problem. In the daytime, the sun heats quite a bit but I still need supplemental heat. Our lows are somewhere in the -5 range, highs 100+.

I understand about wanting to sit in the shade in the middle of your yard. You are making progress in your planning. There's a lot to consider and plan for and you will still have to make adjustments after the fact. I thought I would need supplemental light in the winter and wouldn't need shade cloth at all in the summer. Be prepared to change the plan.

Daisy

Englewood, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi Daisy, I am well prepared to change plans! What I want can not be realized exactly the way I wish/dream up, because the house is placed towards the back of the property and there is only 20 something feet on the sides.. Putting a greenhouse in the front yard isn't too appealing to me, though that's where I've the most space. So I keep prioritizing, mentally. Then there is the financial part of course. Big dreams cost a lot. It is not something I have to realize asap, but it is something that should be done well informed.

That is a crazy climate that you have. Costly too as you have to cool in the summer and heat in the winter. Is it beautiful there?

Heleen

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

How about changing the shape and doing a lean-to greenhouse?

I heat in the winter. Summer I have fans and a misting system. It hits 110 inside the greenhouse on a regular basis but I try to keep the humidity above 25%. Yesterday it fell to about 10% but then I turn the misters on full time (usually, its a 30 second blast every 5 minutes).

There are two types of people in the world: Forest people (who love being surrounded by trees and tall buildings) and desert people (who love to see all the way to the horizon). I am a desert person and I live on a hill in the desert. I think its perfect.

Daisy

Englewood, FL(Zone 10a)

privacy is important to me. places free of nearby people, no matter how friendly they are, are what I like. I wouldn't mind if the trees were further away, but I've a smaller backspace.
The neighboring houses are built fairly close to the property lines. A lean on would have to be narrow. but thank you for the idea. I'm giving it a thought.

I do not know about the electricity and water costs in NV, I hope it isn't crazy high.. A 30 sec blast every 5 minutes sounds like a lot.

Humidity in South Florida is high, specially in the summer. One thing I don't have to worry about if I keep the plants outside in a screened shade house.

Heleen

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

If you put enough plants in there, no one will see anything but the forest (but you, being closer to the plants, will see the world).

Daisy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.