Can soil ph change color of bloom

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

I have read several times recently in a garden forum (not here) about day lilies that have suddenly changed bloom color in this year's bloom.

Most of the time a plant that bloomed yellow in the past has suddenly begun to bloom orange or vice versa.

Most recent comment was that a 90ft row of yellows has this year bloomed orange. Several commented to the effect that, like hydrangeas, daylily color can be affected by soil ph.

Is this possible?

This message was edited Jun 9, 2015 6:05 AM

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I know the amount of ph will change the color of hydrangeas but I do not think it is like that for daylilies. I think it is the amount of heat. The same flower can be different for someone in the north than for someone in the south. Also the camera, they might not capture the color correctly, and the browser, not all support color management.

I just got Firefox, wish me luck!

http://www.gballard.net/firefox/#config

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Good luck !

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I like Firefox, think you will like it too Susan. Good Luck!!!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I imagine ph can change color but soil can also change what the bloom looks like. Look at the difference between these two plants of Rebekah's Gothic Spider. They are planted about 3 ft apart and the bloom is different on both of them.

Thumbnail by hemlady Thumbnail by hemlady
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I took two pics of the same plant one second apart and got this last year: Same camera, same soil, same plant, same time 7:31 am. LOL!!

*~*

By the way this is 'Superstitious'. May she rest in peace. :(

Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose
Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

My question is not about differences in color due to camera, as most of these comments seem to indicate was understood.

I take many pictures and am fully aware of camera situations.

The person whose comment I am asking opinions on stated that her plants changed colors over the years from yellow to orange; not in photos but in reality!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I have never heard of plants changing color over the years. I have been growing daylilies for 20 years and have never had that happen.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Sorry I got a little off topic. lol. I have never heard of that, except for the hydrangeas of course.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.