RU Gift

Dallas, TX

Leaves have started growing like crazy. Can barely read the label. I see my name on it which doesn't help. I think it might be some type of mistflower. Anybody know?

Thumbnail by tx_flower_child
Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

That is Gregg's Mistflower, Conoclinium greggii a wondeful plant for butterflies, they love to nectar on it, especially the Monarchs and Queens.

Dallas, TX

Thanks. Fortunately it got in the ground before our Nov. snow. It's spreading out and don't know if I should stop it doing that due to limited space. About when does it usually start blooming?

It will probably start blooming in a month or so. Maybe you can put the extra plants in pots.

Dallas, TX

Good ides. I will if they grow.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

After you see it in action you will make room for more!!

Dallas, TX

Yep. That little mistflower is just spreading itself all around. I will attempt to dig some up. Unfortunately that's how I usually kill stuff. But if I don't pot it up and just leave it loose, I think it (and I) will do ok.
The American Germander has really taken over my little perennial bed. I even had to stake it and now it's grown even taller. Geesh. I'll see if there's any of it that looks like it's transplantable. It has really crowded out my Augusta Duelberg. But if it even thinks about making a move toward some of the milkweed, then it's gonna be in trouble.

Thanks, ladies.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I had to take out my Am. Germander, just to aggressive even for me! I suggest you leave the Mistflower at least one more season and you will be wanting a bigger bed for it. Not only the Monarchs and Queens but a bunch of other butterflies flock to it and the Frostweed in the fall.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I noticed the first blooms on my mistflower today! Yours should be blooming soon.

Dallas, TX

Oh, good, Stephanie. When I got home from the RU and made a casual walk around my yard, it kinda looked like my mistflower was fixing to bloom. I know it definitely grew taller while my back was turned.

Also saw that another pod on one of milkweeds had opened.

Thanks to all of y'all that are showing me I'm not a total plant killer.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Save the seeds from the milkweed and scatter them at the base of your plant to increase your clump. Otherwise, they will fly away and end up all over the place. Ask me how I know this.

Dallas, TX

Stephanie, I think I know. I find that a lot of the seeds along with their 'fluff' are kinda stuck on other plants. I try to gather those and I'm sure if anyone were watching that they'd have a good laugh. Also trying to get seeds from pods that have opened but not scattered the seeds/fluff yet. I may not know the name of the 'fluff', but I do know how much 'fun' it can be.

At first I was putting the seeds from the golden flowered plant in one bag and from the red in another. Now I have no idea which seeds come from which plants given that they get stuck everywhere.

Do I need to wait until fall or next year or this weekend to plant some of these fresh seeds?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

You can plant them now. I've had them come up in the fall.

Fort Worth, TX

I remember planting some american germander somewhere. Maybe I should research it.

Dallas, TX

Do the butterflies like American Germander?

Yes, bees and butterflies nectar on the flowers.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Bugs love it, too, so it protects some of the other plants in the garden from those pests.

Fort Worth, TX

good, cuz I have LOTS of bugs. Going organic seems to do that, but the bees and mason bees love it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.