Too late?

Dallas, TX

I just found where I put seeds from various marigolds and zinnias. Is it too late to just scatter some around? I guess I might as well try. Maybe the birds will like 'em. Thoughts?

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Defiantly not too late for zinnias,I don't know abt marigolds. I use a large coffee can filled with potting soil and put the seeds in and mix them up, then toss ( scatter) them. Just need to keep them watered until they are established.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I was thinking of tossing out some zinnia seeds as well as a shorter variety sunflower seed.

You have plenty of time for both. For many people Memorial Day is the beginning of gardening season. We just feel like we're late. Lol

Dallas, TX

Thanks all. I was outside today and couldn't believe how dry the soil is in my backyard. How can that happen so fast?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Clay dries out quickly.

Fort Worth, TX

mix seeds with sand or potting mix and sprinkle once or twice a day until they are decent sized

Dallas, TX

Silly question but can I just sprinkle anywhere or do I need to only sprinkle in existing beds, of which there are few?

Fort Worth, TX

you might rake the bed first, but anywhere the ground is half way soft (part of my yard is like concrete) My marigolds are volunteers coming up in the mulch surrounding where I had them last year, same with the zinnias. I just give seeds to the daughter and water my volunteers

Dallas, TX

Thanks, Gypsi. I have concrete also. And rocks. And broken glass. And you just never know what.

Fort Worth, TX

Mine is actually clay and topsoil but it hardens like concrete when it dries out, can't germinate much in the back yard. The garden I have added organic stuff too and it is not too bad

Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

I agree with plants drying out so quickly...in all my soil types!!! It's never too late to plant seeds as you will want to have them blooming at different times during the season...for Marigolds make sure you keep them watered evenly...too much & they will rot.
Gypsi...do you have compost?? That would help a lot for your gardens/back yard.

When Gypsi says sprinkle I think she means watering them. Tossing or scattering them refers to the seeds. Once the seeds are tossed they need to be kept damp until they are established.

Fort Worth, TX

I use compost on the gardens. Am gradually topping off the backyard with pond compost if it is free of anything that would hurt my dogs, in hopes that even bermudagrass will stay moist enough to root and cover the bare hard dirt. I have 5 dogs so all I try to grow out back is bermuda grass, white dutch clover which is struggling but still there and buffalo grass which I failed to get out when it was moist enough to allow germination. The chickens have planted some tomatoes in the middle of the yard, which are actually fruiting this year, so far the dogs are leaving them alone.

when I say sprinkle I mean lightly water rather than soaking. I rake and scatter seeds for wildflowers and flowers that I have a LOT of self-gathered seed for.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.