A Japanese Polygonatum of some sort?

(Zone 4b)

When I planted it in May 2013 it was just a couple 'eyes'. And I am pleased to see this spring it really starting to fill out; to show its promise. I had thought it was called "Gao Dan Bai" but I see no reference to this variety anywhere on the web :(. Maybe it is "Dai Koga"? In any event we love it in our shade garden.

This message was edited Jun 5, 2015 11:45 PM

Thumbnail by rouge21 Thumbnail by rouge21 Thumbnail by rouge21
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Rouge, that's an insanely beautiful shade garden!
The contrasting textures of your beautiful variegated polygonatum,
hosta, syneilesis, and what looks like epimedium & maybe a rodgersia? ...
It's just perfect.
I've always had essentially the same image floating around in my brain,
but how do you get your plants to cooperate?
In my yard, one plant might grow well, but his neighbor pouts or dies or becomes the neighborhood bully.
I'm completely jealous of how you get your plants to play nice.
It looks great.
Now, to find that polygonatum ...

(Zone 4b)

Too kind 'wee'. But thanks much.

I understand you completely. But I think I took these pictures at just the perfect time i.e. lots of moisture lately so everything is verdant and right now in the life cycle of all the plants you see there is enough space for each. The shade bed they are in was completely new, completely 'naked' until the spring of 2013. I have no doubt many of these plants will be 'duking' it out for space come later this summer or next season. If I can dig out the 'before and after' shots it is incredible. I am often surprised how little time it takes to go from nothing to something when perennial gardening.

This message was edited Jun 6, 2015 2:47 PM

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I certainly am guilty of taking the most propitious photo possible!
My posts are usually close ups of a flower, because if you zoom out,
you'd see the surrounding jungle.
And you're right about how rewarding it can be to rescue a section of the yard.
I guess the trick is keeping it looking good ... I'm not sure I've mastered that yet.
Those darned weeds rebound with a vengeance.

(Zone 4b)

Quote from rouge21 :
I am often surprised how little time it takes to go from nothing to something when perennial gardening.

One picture shows the makings of this shade garden in October 2012.

The other pic shows is as of today.

(Now for sure none of these plants I grew from seed but still I am shocked at how much it as filled in (weeds and all ;))

Thumbnail by rouge21 Thumbnail by rouge21
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Wow! You're welcome to come tackle any corner of my yard you'd like to take on. I'll provide the pick ax and machete.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I am no help on the ID, but I also think it is lovely.

(Zone 4b)

Thank you 'pistil'.

Poulsbo, WA

I'm no help on the ID either, but I agree with the others that you've put together a beautiful combination of plants.

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Wow Rouge, it sure is filling in magnificently!! Sorry I'm no help on ID'ing that plant, but GOSH, it's so lush and beautiful in there! =)

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

So, Rouge, I blame you entirely for a couple wasted hours searching the net for variegated polygonatums in a fruitless search for your plant. I have come across the same occasional sightings with conflicting names as you have already mentioned. I'm pretty sure yours is a polygonatum, since I think I can make out the dangling white axillary bells. And the foliage looks like P. odoratum. The reason I was checking closely is because there are a couple equally beautiful variegated disporums which have similar foliage but different floral characteristics. I'm embarrassed to admit I've had one or two of these plants in my garden, but they must have been kidnapped or some other skullduggery, as I've seen no trace of them in a few years. I'll just have to enjoy yours. Hope it thrives for you.

(Zone 4b)

Quote from Weerobin :
So, Rouge, I blame you entirely for a couple wasted hours searching the net for variegated polygonatums in a fruitless search for your plant..[/quote]

I know this can be frustrating...I have been on the receiving end many times ;)

Quote from Weerobin :
I'm pretty sure yours is a polygonatum, since I think I can make out the dangling white axillary bells

Good note 'wee' ie there are those bells.

[quote="Weerobin"]I'll just have to enjoy yours. Hope it thrives for you.

You can bet I will post its arrival each spring. If you are ever in my neck of the woods I will be glad to dig you up and eye or two...promise.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.