Ugly thread

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

We usually have an ugly thread. The first bloom on Merry Moppet probably qualifies.

Thumbnail by gingerjar
La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Merry Moppet has definitely improved.

Thumbnail by gingerjar
La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

First bloom on Pumpkin Prince is a bit on the ugly side.

Thumbnail by gingerjar
Knollwood, TX

Not the worst, but a little "special." No ID, though. 😔

Thumbnail by elsieme
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

If I flower ever needed practice.....Crowning Fire.

Thumbnail by virginiarose
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Just for fun, 'Partita' having a bad day. *~*

Thumbnail by virginiarose
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Elsieme your flower look normal to me.

Williams, CA(Zone 9a)

All of your daylilieslook like they are doing well. I am in California zone 8 (drought territory) Even though I have watered and given attention, they are not growing well. They get lots of sun, but just not doing well. Any thoughts?
Thank you!

This message was edited Jun 22, 2015 11:32 AM

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Dee,

How much water do you give them? Also when do you water them. I know watering at night would prevent evaporation, that could be the problem in zone 8, the sun is so hot. We are lucky in Va. we get rain most of the time, but when we do not I run the sprinkler for an hour at a time. Add some time released fertilizer if they do not perk up. :) I just use a balanced fertilizer like 10-10-10 because it is cheap for one thing, I get a 40lb bag for ten dollars, it last a long time.

Susan

Williams, CA(Zone 9a)

Dear Susan, Thank you for your response about my daylilies. I think the heat is what is hurting them-they are exposed all day. I have a few in a bedagaist the ewat side of our house, which gets afternoon shade and they look better and are blooming. I will try the fertilizer and, will check more often on moisture content with my gauge. I was so looking forward to seeing them flourish this summer, but I do not think that is going to happen. DeEtta

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

I think afternoon shade is the key, shade compensates for full sun droughty conditions.

Williams, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank You Mipii!
I will move my direct sun dayliles this fall!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

DeEtta,
You are so welcome, we are learning. I am having some summer dormancy myself and the ones in partial shade do look good. I do not believe I have any that are exposed all day and you are a hotter zone too. Seems like they would dry out real fast also. I think you got the right plants and I think you will find the right spot for them. :)

Actually my back yard use to be blazing sun all day when we bought this house and one of the first things I planted was a nice Cherry Tree and so I do have some shade all day long now, I love the tree and we actually use the yard now. lol. Most of my daylilies get morning sun.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

I've got a couple of things I need to move for more shade...even in my stupid zone. we all live and learn. My water isn't nearly as beneficial as rain water, I'd like a rain barrel even though we get a good amount of rainfall. DeEtta, I sure wish I could share my over abundance of rainwater with you, I feel for you.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Here is the biggest failure in my garden in the daylily dept. I could probably count on one hand during the (about) 4yrs it has been here how many normal bloom I got. Anyone that want to try their hand at this looser I would gladly ship this monster clump to them.
Royal Celebration
P.S. There's nothing royal about this disaster in my opinion and experience.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh boy, that's pretty rough looking Mike.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Cindy this will be the first plant that I get rid of. I wouldn't send this #$&& to anyone.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.