Pond House

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I built a 18x18x10 metal building with 2 t0 3 inches of closed cell spray foam on walls and ceiling,with 7 4x6 ft picture windows and a 2ft skylight across the top peak of roof,the pond is 12x9x2 I have 11 gold fish which are about 10 inches long.I'm zone 7 hoping this pond house will move to zone 8 or higher. I planted palms and bananas and other fruit trees hardy to zone 8. Would like to get some opinions on how you think this work out,as far as over wintering fish and plants.

Thumbnail by Tropicman Thumbnail by Tropicman Thumbnail by Tropicman Thumbnail by Tropicman
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I think having an all enclosed pond is a wonderful idea. No predators, cleaner water, and no debris blowing in. If it does get real cold you can always add a water heater for a little while.
Good luck with it. Great idea.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Tanks,can you recommend a water heater brand?

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Not honestly as we never use them usually in Fl.

Products I have bought from Web's Water Gardens and Drs. Foster & Smith have been very good so far.

Decatur, GA

What an interesting idea. I haven't given indoor ponds much thought. What motivated you?
The ten inch goldfish sound impressive. I can understand wanting to protect them for sure.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Well the weather motivated me,we have several wind storms a year here,and the dirt that gathers is in creditable.My sons pool is red after a dirt storm,and takes several days to get it clean and swim-able again,I wanted a pond,but didn't want to put up with that,so it had to be inside or just not have one.
Thanks Bonnie,a place to start looking.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

My son is planning a new house and he is more excited about bldg. a pond I think than the house. On the back side he is having a long screened area, roofed over and said he is going to put his pond in there. Wonderful idea. We have raccoons, otters and of sometimes blue herons and they all like a fish dinner so that should prevent them from coming in.

One friend built a pond on the end of her house inside a screen enclosure which cost her around $8,000. and she had a gator visit and come through the screen trying to get to her fish I guess. She had a pistol so she stopped it. She was very near a large swamp which in Fl. is sure to have gators. Glad that hasn't happened to me yet. We have field fence and electric all over our place including the yard as we have cows so I'm hoping no gators ever get up this far from the canal. If they ever do they won't get any further than the fence. In 46 years we have never lost a cow or calf to one and that's great with me.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Sounds as you have everything covered,as far as getting into your pond area,my reason here is,we have wild pigs, deer,cougars,Bobcats,foxes,so each night I have to shut things up to keep the wild animals out,during the day,the screened doors and windows work to keep everything out.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I suspect such a large, well insulated room with all those windows/skylight and all that water will stay quite warm and toasty during the winter. The water itself will absorb heat from the sunlight beaming in during the day. A supplemental heater that can handle your 216 cubic feet of water would be insurance on the coldest days of winter.

I hope you will post pictures as those palms and other plants mature. Sounds like you will have a little tropical paradise in the Texas Panhandle.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I need to update those pics,things have really grown out of control in there.

Thumbnail by Tropicman Thumbnail by Tropicman
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Whats the name of the first plant? Beautiful.

With the atmosphere inside you will have plants going bonkers I'm sure. I am reminded of a man who built a tropical rain forest bldg. on his property for aroids. It is fantastic and grows ferns and other plants like crazy. Wish I could remember how I found it I'd send you the link.

Glad everything is growing so good for you.

Bonnie

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Dwarf Papyrus ,I know the man you mention,he moved from Florida to his home state of Arkansas.We emailed each other a few times when he was building his rainforest,sadly he passed away last year.Sorry I have forget his name.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Thank you for plant name.
Sorry to hear that he passed. We had talked on tel. and he came down to Fl. for aroid show and we had hoped to meet and discuss planting strategy. He certainly had a beautiful bldg. for his plants.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Water Hyacinth in bloom.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Walked into garden center at Walmart yesterday and right in my face stood that papyrus plant. Very tall and fell over in my SUV so a little damaged but it will be fine one I get it into large pot and in water.

Also they had juncus for $2.95 so got 3 of them. Some things I just can't walk past.

I need floating pots and can't find the rigid plastic ones. The foam like ones just don't last. They get mushy and absorb water and then sink.

Does anyone know where I can get single firm plastic floating pots? I have checked internet very thoroughly. Lowe's used to have them but no more. My rigid ones are years old and still floating perfectly.

Bonnie D.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

When I lived in Wichita,I had the tall papyrus,it reached almost 7ft,the dwarf one I have stays about 3ft so far,but might get a Little taller when the pot gets full.Sorry get help you on floating pots,you might check You tube,seems I saw a video on how to make your own a while back.Have to look up Juncus don't recall what they are.

Decatur, GA

I've tried those floating pots and didn't have any good luck. The plants grew well but soon it got top heavy and would tip and float sideways. Not that attractive.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

When I had a large pond and large Koi I planted in tubs with no drainage holes and topped the soil with a heavy layer of good sized rocks, 2" to 3" each. This kept the koi from digging. I also had a lake nearby that was crowded with elodea and I would bring it home by the garbage bagfuls and feed it to the koi. They slurped it up like spaghetti. That seemed to satisfy their need for greens so they didn't chomp on the lilies or lotus. It is terrible when you have to outsmart a fish! :-)

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

MM I checked on them and they are foam. I only have 2 rigid plastic ones and they stay afloat and don't tip cause I put a few rocks in specific locations. They are old and still work fine.

Ardesia, know what you mean about tippy floaters. My koi will eat anything green especially peas. Once I tried water lily and they tore it up in no time. I have the materials to make that large round floating planter and I just need to get it made.

Tropicman, I think you are right. I need to make my own floating pots. I do have 2 very large plastic pots that I sink in pond and put a few large rocks in to keep them in place and I am going to use them for that papyrus. My son went back to Walmart and got me another plant. That type of plant is about all I can have cause they are so far above water they can't get to them.

Guess you know I can't outsmart a fish. DUH!!! Once 4 of them jumped into floating planter my son had made me and they sank the whole thing getting to the plants. They are big fish so down the planter went and all the rocks and plants fell out. I wasn't happy but that's life with koi. Guess I'll keep trying to outsmart them.
Bonnie
PS. Ardesia: M Mary is bringing over some pink banana plants next week. Anxious to see them and try growing them. Would be happy to pay freight if you D-mail me your address.
Thank you for your thoughtfulness.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.