Is this a flower spike?

Copperas Cove, TX(Zone 8a)

I took over this orchid from my wife a few months ago and have since had it in my greenhouse. It's put out several new leaves and now I notice what to me looks like a flower spike coming up. Is that what this is?

Thumbnail by chris1948 Thumbnail by chris1948
Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Yes, a flower spike. Good going! Put a stick beside it and as it grows, use clips to hold it to the stick. Carefully! The spikes are very brittle and break easily.

Thank you, we've got the stick from another orchid she had that died. Do I stake it up now or wait until it gets a bit larger?

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

You can wait. If it starts to bend toward the light, put the stick in and gently clip the stem to the stick. Keep moving the clip up or add more clips as it grows. You can bend them straight but they are easily snapped off too. I usually add the stick at this point so I can clip it early and steer it straight.

Thank you, sorry for the late reply. I tend to sometimes forget where I've posted at. The spike is doing very well now and I've kept it clipped to be straight. I'll probably have to use some of my wife's florist wire as it grows larger.

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Great! Wrap loosely so you don't constrict the stem as it grows.

Thanks for the reminder. I'll make sure to be careful.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Hi Daisy, It has a year since I have talked to you I think. My orchid is doing good, gotten quite a few new leaves, but doesn't appear to be in any hurry to bloom again. I put some orchid fertilizer sticks in it and I soak it about every 10 days or so. It looks very healthy, but no new blooms??? Help??? Jeanette

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.