Growth cycles

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Are there many (any?) trees that have multiple growth cycles? In other words, if charted out in five year increments, do most trees have a relatively upward straight line pattern, or would it be a very uneven growth chart? Once they get over 25-30', I have a tough time seeing annual growth. The canopy seems to reach a critical mass where struggle to get a complete sense of the overall canopy growth. Am I stating the obvious? I suppose the thing to do would be to keep this kind of documentation - with pictures -, but I really doubt that's gonna happen...

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Maybe that's why you are in the lovable profession that you are in - doesn't require any particular appreciation of spatial qualities...

Pics over time is exactly the answer - always taken from the same spot. Barring that, you can pull a tape measure around the trunk DBH to prove to yourself that yes - size matters.

I would say: "Of course, trees have multiple growth cycles!" The differences year to year include increased vs. decreased rainfall; severe winter vs. mild winter; heavier fertilization by homeowner vs. laissez-faire gardening; 17 year cicada year vs. not; etc.

Maybe climbing a ladder, looking out a second story window, strolling out on the roof - I think a change of perspective is in order here. Your statement might equate with not recognizing that your spouse increases in attractiveness on an annual basis...

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I hope you don't next suggest putting a tape measure around her waist annually to measure growth rings?

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Right. I think that's an analogy better left alone.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Ah - anthropomorphizing again...

I see both Weerobin and Pseudo will need remedial lessons in ANSI/ANLA standards.

No. Attractiveness in mates over time (Mate/Time) is rarely a function of girth - but maybe DBH...

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Could you explain "attractiveness in mates over time" to me? I've read ANSI Z60.1-2014 and can't find any reference to that.

http://americanhort.org/documents/ANSI_Nursery_Stock_Standards_AmericanHort_2014.pdf

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

ANSI standards were written by scientists and legal experts, so can be hard for the layman to understand. Fortunately, I took classes in college on scientific terminology and the history of science, so I can translate for you, into common American English (Perhaps Resin could weigh in on British English):
"If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy".
; )

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Oh, trust me, that I understand.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Lol!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.