Solidago "Fireworks"

(Zone 4b)

I read lots of good things about this Golden Rod but I would love to hear from DG members who have this in their garden.

http://www.highcountrygardens.com/perennial-plants/solidago/solidago-rugosa-fireworks

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I planted some midsummer almost 2 years ago. Each plant is now about 5 feet across and still enlarging, Quite scary really. It was over 6 feet tall last summer, MUCH taller than the label said it would be. Very nice flowers. This year I gave it a "Chelsea Chop" in April, hoping it would not get so tall. It was already almost 3 feet tall at that time. I will have to dig it up and reduce it's girth, but I am worried it might take over the garden. It has no long runners just rapidly expanding clump. It seems drought tolerant (no water for about 6 weeks last summer and it looked just fine, is planted on improved clay soil. Very thickly growing, suppresses weeds.
The flowers are a shocking yellow I really like with the darkish foliage. It stands up straight, no support needed.
So maybe I should trade you for something ; )

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I also have the Fireworks Solidago. It's a great plant, IMHO.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

I planted Solidago rugosa 'Fireworks' some years ago... not hardy here, unfortunately ('though on the other hand, I wouldn't have had space if it was really happy here, sounds like!) Love the effect of the flowering stems.

Just saying though... If you want goldenrods that are less vigorous, and spread only by seed, the European hybrids (Solidago x hybrida) fit the bill. These are actually hybrids of North American species and the main benefit of the hybridization is to remove the characteristic of spreading by rhizomes (which seems to be the biggest beef people have against goldenrods, aside from the incorrect notion that their pollen causes hayfever). These have Americanized names, often "Gold (something)", e.g. 'Goldkind' is sold here as 'Golden Baby'. Not sure why they are not a great deal more popular. I have ended up weeding out most of the native North American and European species I've planted, due to their spreading habits (and not having enough room or the sort of setting to just let them go).

This message was edited Jun 3, 2015 11:11 AM

(Zone 4b)

Thanks all for your experiences. I have learned lots. ('alta', I would have thought that a goldenrod would be a hardy prairie plant).

The flower arrangement on " Fireworks" look so cool. There is one location I might try that could work.

I see there is a very small solidago known as "Little Lemon"...seems very very small!

http://www.perennialresource.com/encyclopedia/view/?plant=1703

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I planted some 'Little Lemon' at the same time-it is very cute, and much better behaved. More of a birthday cake candle compared to 'Fireworks'.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Honeybees love it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.