New here, can't find info on this little bug

Lexington, TX

I'm very new to gardening. Have raised SIP planters. I have found these little buggers on my zucchini plants and many of them are on my cinnamon basil. The one gardener I know, has not ever seen these before. I'm hoping someone here has as I have no idea if these are harmful or beneficial. And if they are harmful, don't know how to get rid of them. I'm trying to keep my garden organic. Any help is appreciated.
I'm located in Lexington, TX. My garden is very new. I don't know if I brought these bugs with the plants from where they were purchased.

Thanks!
Dawn

Thumbnail by dmmcnair Thumbnail by dmmcnair Thumbnail by dmmcnair Thumbnail by dmmcnair
Lexington, TX

I finally think I found out what this is. A leaf hopper. At least this looks like one. Never heard of these or seen these before. Hope someone can verify for me.

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

Does it jump? Leaf hoppers are well named: They are very good jumpers.

Lexington, TX

Yes, the jump and fly. They skittle to the other side of the stalks when I try to grab them. I went ahead and had my hubby bring home some insecticidal soap and it seems to have gotten rid of most of them. I just smoosh the few that are still hanging around. I'm guessing one of the plants that I purchased at the store was infested. Will have to be more careful of what I bring home.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.