New to Fairy Gardens, need help

Burlington, NC(Zone 7a)

Hi all,
I work for a non profit and we have an outdoor learning environment that we want to tie in a literacy fairy garden to. We have groups of 3-4 trees in different areas of this space and are thinking of one space being the Hundred acre wood, one being dedicated to Little Red Riding hood, Hansel and Gretel, etc. My question is: these gardens will be exposed to many different elements. What kind of protection do I need to put on these mini gardens? Is there a specific type of sealant? Is it better to attach the doors to the trees? Or use small steaks and push them into the ground as close to the trunk as possible? I will likely have to change out some of the decor every few months or so, depending on what route we decide to go with in the way of decor. It would be fun to change it seasonally.....Our goal is to bring families and child care facilities to the area to share stories, ask questions, and utilize both our literacy area and outdoor learning environment.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I think it would be fun to set aside a small wooded area and begin making a fairy garden that the children could add to as they desire. So many items can be made with existing stones and sticks and it is a great way to develop the imagination.
Here is the fairy garden I started several years ago and just moved down here ti Delaware. I designed the house and my husband built it. I roofed it with bark and trimmed with Harry Lauder walking stick. I made most of the accessories of clay. Tea sets made of acorns. Wooden playground using those horseshoe nails for railings. Tons of creative ideas for children of all ages.

Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.