Central Midwest Gardening: Will Spring Stay This Time?

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Time for a new thread! We have new plants blooming and new things to do in the month of June. Stop by if you can :o)

We came from here.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1392982/#new

Ju,
Seriously! You have a rain loving cat. That is so cool! LOVE happy feet on a cat :o)

Betty,
I didn't realize it was so long. I was sailing merrily along.

Yesterday was cold and windy, but a good day to stay in and sort pictures and eliminate a lot of them!

Today will be a little better and I get to mow! Then I'll see if my neighbor is out and will help weed if she needs.

Have a great day.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Sorry BP. You didn't name this June, so I didn't see it. I think that we were posting at the same time. I'm on the train, so someone please fix for me.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

it's a great day.. it is warmer..

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Hi all. Can Billy change her thread name to have June or will everyone know to post here? I can link mine to go here to keep us on the same thread. I'm just too tired right now after mowing the front and back yard and cooking dinner after going to the dentist after work. Be back later after I rest up.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Ok. I linked my thread here so we're on the same page. Thank you Billy.

Today is badcat's birthday. Hope you have a great day!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Happy Birthday Badcat!!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Billy p kitty likes rain , hates the cold ,, I am not as fond of either as when I was younger .

How about that Cat talk ,, for Badcat's Birthday ,, Suppose we get together and the Happy Feet Dance for a Happy Birthday song , or do we just chase mice instead ,,lol

It was cold all day here , rather than send it back to you all I will let it travel on ,, 40's tonight ,

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Didn't mind the cooler weather when I was cutting grass yesterday evening, but it can warm up a bit now since that chore has been scratched off my list. Cherries are holding on the bush a bit longer until I can get to them. Off work all next week, so it will be catch up time.

Hectic day in front of me. Lunch time I get to enjoy some kosher dill spears put up last 7-23-14. That will help me get thru the day.

June 6th is almost here. Got to start digging more plants. Train about to go thru the tunnel where I lose reception temporarily. Bye for now.

I need to dig a few things too but not sure when that'll happen. Have to meet up with a friend here sometime soon so tonight and another tomorrow so time is short. lol.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello thanks for the new thread BP. Amazing how long they get. I have been missing for a few days between being sick and working. But feeling so much better nkw. It ended up being acute sinusitis. Also it settled in my left eye so it was all red. So i got drops and some meds. So happy to be feeling better. Just in time too. The weatner is so perfect today. We have been very busy all day. I spray painted my old black arbor and nice color. Its real orange. Looks so nice. Really is great with all the greens and different colors around the yard. Vefy happy with how it turned out.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Yes, thanks for the new thread, bp. I just been doing this and that. I planted one of my small-tree jewels yesterday, a 4 year old Flowering Dogwood. I even got a photograph of it yesterday!
I got lotsa things to dig up over at my former residence, I'll probably do it tomorrow.

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Betty,
I don't usually do that here, but since I came on after you and read that you were tired, I thought I should just go ahead. I'll leave this thread to you guys to update. Too many cooks and all that :o)
I didn't even think to say June. See, I should have left it.
I don't see where to edit it. Maybe someone who knows what they are doing can fix it or tell me how.
Maybe a new, new thread, fixed?
You're welcome, but I will leave well enough alone next time :o)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BADCAT!!

Ju,
I'm surprised when it's winter, and my cats want to go out :o)

Oh Ronna,
You were seriously ill! I'm glad you are feeling better.
We need a picture of your arbor! It sounds striking!

Will,
I wish you had a bigger trailor so you could be done,. It is a good way to keep in touch with your friend. I hope she's doing ok with the new guy.
The dogwood looks great! A very nice tree!

I can't believe it's going to rain tonight. I see so many weeds to tackle. I have been cutting back the iris stalks that are done and taking the leaves too. I saw that done on Victory's Edible Garden, so I'm trying it. I see a few borers survived the systemic again so I'm going to have to dig and kill on a few iris. The poor peonies didn't last long and looked terrible. The last rain really beat them down.

It's a good day to be outside. I hope you have a good day too!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

You need to do July too Billy and keep trying. I appreciate your attempt and this thread is fine.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Ok. Thru the tunnel and walking into work. Have some new pics to post. Will do it later. Won't load my pics without wifi. Using 4G.

A lot of rain in the area today. Easily several inches. Flash flooding is a major concern and it looks like it's 7pm instead of 1:30pm. I made it home with no issues. Got out in between rounds.

Yeah, earlier today it was coming down in buckets. I took some photos when I was out, this is about 3 miles from here where they are building a new bridge over this creek, no work today! - pic #1 I went down to a park on the Missouri River to see what the river looked like, it wasn't higher than it has been. But, I was awestruck at the size of an Eastern Cottonwood tree there.
Sometimes, when you see large, old trees on river-banks you also see a ring around the trunk.
I've seen it before but it may be too many years since riverboats, maybe 100 years ago, fastened their riverboats by tying them by rope to large, old trees on the shore, it wasn't on this tree.
Thanks bp, the Dogwood really seems to be happy Yes, things are supposedly going just fine with the new sheriff.

This message was edited Jun 3, 2015 7:36 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Here is my orange arbor... needs a colorful vine or something on it. But its in the shade.

Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes sorry to say. I did get paint on my poor hosta and ligularia plant. Feel bad about that.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Can't tell that any cherries are missing from the bushes yet. Hydrangeas and The Fairy.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Very nice gb. Wow thats a lot of cherries. What are you going to do with all of them? Homemade cherry pies? With some ice cream on it...

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Me too !!! I am enjoying ,, cherries under the Cottonwoods ,,, BIG sigh ,,

I'm getting ready to go out and do some weeding. One bed is sorely neglected due to the rain and I'm hearing about it. lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Just finished a batch of cherry jelly. I hope to put up some more tomorrow evening.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

oh my , and I am borderline diabetic ,, oh well ,, they took away Twinkies ,, but ,, I can still try for a jar of GB's Cherry Jelly , just like Grandma used to make , I believe is the phrase ,,
I don't crave sweets , only when I want , I want ,, including sweets ,,

Thumbnail by juhur7
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

4 1/2 cups of sugar per 3 1/2 cups of cherry juice means just a spoonful occasionally on toast.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yum. My mom always made some peCh and strawberry jam. Homemade. Do not think I have ever had cherry.. Sounds good. Probably freeze it huh?

Peach jam really sounds good right now. lol

I made today what is supposed to be a form of ice cream without dairy. I thought it would somehow be a creamier than it came out but instead it's like a smoothie frozen or unfrozen. lol. Still tastes good but I'm gonna experiment with it next time. lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Boiling water bath in hot sterilized jars, gl. I also put up pears and blackberries. Sometimes I freeze the fruit and save it to make pear butter and jam later. I put up pickles, peppers, relish, and green tomato chow chow. Before my peach tree died, I froze peaches in syrup every summer. My family didn't like helping me with the peaches because the fuz made us itch, so we planted the pear tree. I use pectin to make the jams and jellies. I make the pear butter just like apple butter in a crockpot.

I was thinking about bringing some pickles and jam to the RU for folks to take home. I believe that I did this last year.

The Peach Jam sounds delicious, you're making me dessert-hungry!

The Fishing River is really high again. I hope for the sake of the residents there in Mosby it doesn't flood them out again, though things don't look good. That was when I left, it was just inches below the bridge when I came back from my former abode. I was surprised they were still letting cars go over it, it felt like you were driving on rushing water.

I got my BIG Spiderplant from my former abode and hung it from the shed here first thing, it looks terrific.

I'll have to get a recipe for Peach Jam, for our Dwarf Peach tree, Peaches are coming in.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

70°/81°/59°
Today...Partly sunny. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight...Partly cloudy. East wind 10 to 15 mph.

Betty,
Laughing! Since I am an out of state guest, I'll just enjoy someone else doing the updated thread!

Pepper,
Glad you didn't have to ford any rivers crossing the road.
Let us know when you get a good non dairy ice cream recipe.

Will,
That's a good picture of rushing water.
I'm glad. It's better than finding out he's abusive. I'm sorry you lost your home tho :o(
That's pretty! A deep purple morning glory would look good on it, but no sun makes it hard to find something. Moon flower? Since they bloom at night?
When our little Wapsi River slash creek flooded it was like something out of a Stephen King novel. Scary is right!!
Agreed, the spider plant looks fabulous there!

Betty,
The cherries look so good! Beautiful blooms!
Sharing jars of preserves and such, is a VERY generous thing to do!!

Ju,
I hope the wind is blowing. I love the chatter of cottonwoods :o)
I love penstemons! I've never seen a pink one.

I need to mow. I've been helping my neighbor weed for the upcoming party they are hosting. She has many many flower beds, but they are almost done. So much to do. I have spinach I need to pick before it rains too. Better get moving.

Have a great day!

Big doins' going on here! I planted several plants here from my former abode. I planted a big Ozark Witch Hazel that was in a 15 gallon black pot. It's planted a little higher than I like but that thing was heavy and I was tired of moving it! - pic #1

Here is another planting, a Dwarf Mugo Pine next to the shed. - pic #2

Then I planted a Heuchera Coral Bells ('Key Lime'). - pic #3

You guys have a good time at the ru, wish I could be there!

Thanks for the suggestions, Sally. Yeah, rushing water is mesmerizing! Even in the yard here it gets a little crazy with rushing rain-water.
Will

This message was edited Jun 5, 2015 9:28 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Will nice spider plant. Mine are huge too. I bought one last year for five dollar at a local market. Transplanted it the new pot was to small. So i tore the plant all apart. Cut out some roots. I thought for sure i killed it. But it is so pretty now. Growing nicely. So i am glad.
Love the homemade jams. They sound so good gb. I used to can fresh stuff. But not any more. They do taste so good in the middle of winter or any time.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will,
Top the witch hazel off with mulch. My neighbors always, just, get things in the hole, but they mulch at least 4'' deep.
Your sister is going to have a whole new yard and your plants are in the ground where they belong. You did good raising them up :o)

Ronna,
Luckily, spider plants are tough as nails!

Yesterday was full day. I had laundry and dishes to do, spinach to pick and freeze, pasta salad to make and a yard to mow. Then I hoed in the garden while DH watered and we filled the birdbaths. I have 10 containers in the freezer and since the plants are bolting, one picking left for fresh eating. Then I can get green beans planted in that spot. I was so tired that I didn't really walk around and enjoy my newly cut grass :o(

Have a wonderful Saturday!

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Thanks All, Up in MI on vacation. Went fishing all day on my birthday lol. Dying to get back to my gardens to see whats grown though!! *waving from Pine Lake*

Thumbnail by badcat
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Oh, badcat! I love fishing. I'm so jealous. I'm glad that you're having such a good time.

The CMW Spring RU is over. We had gorgeous weather. I'll post a few pics sometime soon.

Pepper brought me 5 gorgeous potted golden globe arborvitaes. I am super happy and can't wait to get the area along the driveway ready. I'm hoping that this will stop the winter snow drifts across the driveway. She's resting up for her drive home tomorrow. Since we weren't far from my mom's, we dropped by for a visit where Pepper enjoyed meeting the horses, chickens, and dogs. She really hit it off with Kenny sharing her horse knowledge and left them with 3 potted viburnums.

Dyan really came thru by securing the best shelter in the entire park and brought us delicious and healthy foods. I can't thank her enough for agreeing to do this.

I also enjoyed meeting Pepper's Gr-Aunt Shirley. I meet the best people on DG.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Aw sounds like an awesome day for everyone. We enjoyed our saturday also. Such beautiful weather and company..... my DH. We do not get much time togetherwith me working 13 hour days. Just a great day. Today one daughter is comkng over after work for dinner hopefully ontnegrill. We are suppose to get some weather today. Severe possibly. Thats okay we need that too. I love a good thunder storm.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Had a decent day at Farmers Market.
Nearly sold out of radishes. I had tons along.
Plant sales were pretty good considering most gardens are planted here.
We won't take tomato plants along anymore.
Nice rain overnight, ½". If we got that once a week it would make for a beautiful summer.
Field crops are in excellent shape. Farmers are now out spraying weeds.
As long as gardens are wet, I will take it easy today.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh Badcat!!
No wonder you've been gone! Awesome picture!!

Betty,
AWESOME!!!
(Pepper is pretty awesome too :o)
I can't wait to see the arborvitaes over the years and pictures of the RU!

Ronna,
I don't know HOW you do a 13 hour day. Yikes! I agree, you need some time together!

Bernie,
I'm always glad when you have a good market day. Our yo-yo weather allowed my last sowing of radish to actually produce.
I hear ya on being able to relax now that it rained

We had a good rainstorm this morning and got up just before it began. A couple of lightning and thunders were right overhead. We got an inch so far and a chance all day. I need to dump on the compost pile, but will when ALL threat of lighting is well out of the area. After the guy and his horse died a few weeks ago it's a grim reminder that you can be struck.

I managed to get into something and have three spots of small itch bumps that look like poison sumac vine. I need to wash ALL the gloves I wore the last few days. I have bandaids and a drying gel on them.

Have a blessed Sunday!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

We got a little bit of rain. There is a huge storm just over the big lake. Usually it falls apart before it hits land. Sure hope we get some more.

Made it home a bit ago. Stopped to say hi to some family that I normally don't get to see since I don't go that way. lol. Long drive home and am glad to be back. lol

Had a lot of fun there though. Dyan did secure the best shelter and was super nice.

Betty, you don't know this part but when you called ahead for us going to see your mom, Chloe and I high fived since we were going to see the animals. LOL

Gotta go unload the truck now and get it done before it storms again. Too hot for this. lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.