Tonight is THE Night!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

My first St. Anthony cactus bloom went unnoticed, until the following morning. The second one I caught on but the pix wasn't good. So tonight at dusk the 3rd one is about to open up. Here is the bud that's about to open: The one in the foreground opened 3 days ago. The second one last evening. And tonight is the one plum bud in the middle.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here is the beauty! There are 3 more buds yet to unfurl.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Mountain View, HI

Thanks for sharing. I've never seen it referred to St Anthony's cactus but it sounds much nicer than Ric Rac.
How old is the plant. I understand they don't bloom easily.
I've had mine some years and its only this year that I've had good growth but no blooms. Also mine is in a pot. Looks like yours is growing in the ground.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi there,
In Hawaii it depends on your elevation, perhaps this plant could be planted onto a tree for this type of plant is an epiphyte. Mine is in a hanging basket, and needs frost protection in the winter in our climate.

My plant is older than 8 year-old, at least. I had it for quite a few years before it bloomed for me that much I remember. Once it bloomed, it reliably blooms every year. I love it. I keep these in partial shade.

These pics. were taken today. Last night, I saw an insect on the flower. It'd be interesting if the flower is pollinated? I'll wait and see.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

That is really beautiful!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks, it has been raining hard this evening. I am not braving the rain to watch the next blossom for the night. Should I get up early in the morning. I'll post more pics. to share.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.