How many varieties do you have?

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I love to keep a journal and I write down every variety of plant that goes into my garden. For the first time I sat down and counted the entries (deducting the ones that are no longer with me). I have 225 named ones and a few more I got in trades that I do not know the variety. Just wondering how that compares with other gardeners. Here are a couple pictures taken this morning.

Thumbnail by rteets Thumbnail by rteets Thumbnail by rteets
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

I find it interesting to keep a species count, in addition to a variety count, and then primarily these days, keep track of the species. I find it really useful to keep records in general - plants purchased, and grown from seed - both written in Excel spreadsheets and also photo records. Can't rely on memory anymore! ;-)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

What a gorgeous landscape, rteets! I have a hundred or more in my yard but not as many as I used to. I'm sure there are others that I absolutely can't continue to live without (lol) but now I'm trying to thin out the herd, so to speak. Don't have the time or energy anymore.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I am bad at keeping track of what I have. I can count all the shrubs we have off the top of my head, trees as well. But when it comes down to perennials, no way. I have kept track of my perennial purchases for this year and last year, so I have that going for me. Between them I have planted at least 123 different perennials. That excludes what I bought at local nurseries. I don't add those to my spreadsheet. Unfortunately, 14 plants from last year didn't make it back to this year. Does your 225 count include shrubs and trees?

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I try to keep a journal, but am not quite organized enough to really be complete on this .
Here is what I do in addition to my haphazard journal, I have a box and zip-lock bags. The biggest (now gallon size which is barely big enough) is for perennials, and the loose ones in the first pic are the ones I haven't filed yet (I file about twice a year or so). I do try to write on the tag the year, and approximate location of plant, this helps a lot. The middle pic is the pile of perennial tags from the gallon bag-there could easily be 250 I think. Of course many of the plants have died. I have a list in my journal (now 4 pages long) titled "Things That Have Died".
p.s. my landscape is also more haphazard than rteets!

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

I feel like a piker compared to rteets. I have 102 herbaceous perennial varieties. This includes my 42 Hemerocallis varieties. I keep up with all my plants on an Excel spreadsheet which indicates the date acquired, the date each plant emerges each year, and the date each plant blooms.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow, I wish I as that organized Cottelpg.

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

That number does include trees and shrubs. I have 14 different kinds of trees and about 28 shrubs. As I buy a different plant I write the Latin name in the book. They are all simply listed - no map of where they are or anything. I seem to be able to remember that. This has helped me greatly in learning the Latin names of things.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.