native I hope, Maryland woodland near river

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Can you id?
Low.land near Patapsco in Howard Co. Lots of NN invasives there and lots of boxelder maple and sycamore

Thumbnail by sallyg Thumbnail by sallyg Thumbnail by sallyg
(Zone 5a)

I've pulled a lot of that up this year thinking it was the great (giant) Ragweed. It looks a lot like yours.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/32069/

It is native, a pioneer plant that invades an area, but when other stuff takes over, it disappears. I do not mind it "out there", but in areas I am trying to plant other natives, I pull.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Definitely NOT Giant Ragweed - which has oppositely arranged simple foliage.

This unknown (to me) has alternate arrangement of clearly compound foliage. Seems I've seen it before myself, but it's in my perennial Achilles heel...

thanks for the opinions. Where's greenthumb99...thought he'd have an idea.

(Zone 5a)

Viburnum,

I am glad else had an opinion as I am still learning plants. The leaf arrangements is something I cannot really pick out at this point. I'll have to look more closely at what I've got. I know we have some of the Giant Ragweed, but maybe this other stuff too. ???

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Hi Chillybean:

Well, this is how we all learn. Keep looking at your plants, and you will come to recognize these things and terms by-the-by. Sheer repetition is what it took with me.

Read 100 catalogs to find Bur Oak, and you soon remember Quercus macrocarpa as its name. Pull 1000 invasive Garlic Mustard plants, and you will always recognize its simple alternate leaves with their leftover fragrance....

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Been away. At first glance I thought your photo was of the common Honewort, Cryptotaenia canadensis. Upon close examination I noticed the ocrea-like structure where the leaf petiole meets the stem, typical of the less common native Angelica atropurpurea. Nice find Sally.

wow, thanks for your expert opinion! I'll try to keep an eye on this guy. Poor thing is an island of nativeness in a see of invaders. Or maybe the last holdout.

(Zone 5a)

Yay, for you Sally. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.