Planting asparagus from pot?

Novi, MI

Hi, all! I'm reposting this question I posted in a different forum in hopes someone has an answer in here. I see all kinds of info online about planting asparagus from seed and crowns, but nothing about transplanting from a pot.

I've bought asparagus (Purple Passion) from a garden store in a 1.6 gallon pot (full plant with ferns about 3 feet tall or so).

My question is whether I can transplant this like I would transplant nearly any other potted plant? By that I mean: dig a hole bigger than the pot, remove plant and place in hole, backfill. (The plan is to prepare a raised bed for the asparagus.)

Thanks in advance!

Delhi, LA

I'm not an expert on asparagus but if you keep the root ball in tact, it shouldn't hurt it. It will probably do it good to get room to spread.

Novi, MI

Thanks, Jim

I ended up just doing it like I've done others from pots. Dig a big hole, loosen the roots a little, plop it in there.

I hope it works. :P

Pompano Beach, FL

I'm also growing them from roots. As I understand asparagus like a lot of nutrient, it will influence how well the plant does later on, so hopefully you add lots of good compost to where you plant them.

Delhi, LA

I wish you folks good luck with the asparagus. This is my first year to raise it. I'm a raised bed gardener. My asparagus bed is 9 x 4. If this one does good I build another next spring.

Novi, MI

I did put mine in a small raised bed with plenty of compost, maxjohnson. Almost two weeks in and they look pretty happy so I am optimistic. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.