Ranunculus acris 'Flore Pleno' ['Multiplex']

(Zone 4b)

I planted this too late last season for it to do anything. But the two plants came up quickly this spring and are now in full bloom. I can see that this plant can run a bit but I also think I can keep it contained.

Thumbnail by rouge21
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I have tried a few 'fancy' ranunculus forms over the years ('Plena', 'Miss Austria' & 'Collarette', or something like that, are a few forms I remember planting). The doubles petered out for me after a season or two and magically I ended up with the plain species running around as they are wont to do. Same issue with 'Brazen Hussy' - I love the contrast between the bright yellow flowers and the dark foliage, but mine started popping up plain green revertants almost immediately. I found a few pictures of some of the above: #1 is R. ficaria Brazen Hussy. #2 is R. montanus Miss Austria #3 is R. constantinopolitanus Plena.

Overall, I didn't have a great deal of success with the various special forms of ranunculus. It will be interesting to see how yours does for you. If it stays put and doesn't revert for you, maybe I'll give some of them a try again.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
(Zone 4b)

Interesting Weerobin.

In the limited experience I have with ranunculus I was really impressed last year with Ranunculus aconitifolius 'Flore Pleno' aka "Fair Maids of France". I see blooms forming right now.

(Zone 4b)

Up close:

Thumbnail by rouge21
Natick, MA

Rouge,
Both very pretty!!

(Zone 4b)

It will be interesting to see how yours does for you. If it stays put and doesn't revert for you, maybe I'll give some of them a try again.

UPDATE 2016

Same as last year Weerobin.

I know it can run a bit so I have kept an eye on it the last two seasons to keep it contained...it definitely doesn't 'gallop' ;).

I will do all I can to keep it behavin' as I so like its unique yellow flowers and the glossy foliage.

This message was edited May 23, 2016 6:28 PM

This message was edited May 23, 2016 6:28 PM

Thumbnail by rouge21

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.