please help ID them

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

I bought these irises from an Iris garden several years ago when I didn't understand the importance of keeping plant variety names :-(. Can anybody please help identify them ? Thank you in advance!

1. The flower color is an old-fashioned pink. They have a very strong scent when brought inside as cut flowers. I think they smell terrible, but it might be just me.

2. The blue is actually a beautiful bright blue although it appears to have a hint of gray on my PC monitor. I didn't notice much scent on the flowers.

3. The flowers are a much darker blue-purple when newly open. Then the color turns lighter and speckles start to emerge as the flowers age. The flowers are fragrant.

4. This is probably a tough one to ID. The flowers are just a very uniformed yellow on tall stalks. I didn't notice much scent on the flowers.

By the way, none of them is the reblooming type.

This message was edited May 28, 2015 6:04 AM

Thumbnail by donnerville Thumbnail by donnerville Thumbnail by donnerville Thumbnail by donnerville
Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

donnerville, It's not that we don't want to help you, but it is nearly impossible to id an iris from a posted picture on a computer monitor. Between the variations in color and description, the best we can do is to suggest possibilities. You need to record things like beard color, bud count and when each blooms, VE- very early, E- early, Mid-mid season. L -late or VL- very late. How tall? You stated not rebloomers, but that could just be your garden or zone, amount of sunlight and water, etc.

What I would suggest is to try and grow possibles (well marked) near your unnamed ones to see if they are a match. I suggest Stairway to Heaven, and Breakers as some possibles.
Mittsy

Thumbnail by mittsy
Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Mittsy, thank you for the reply. Well, I never thought of recording/providing the information needed to Id them. Just shows how little i knew :o). Oh well.

Too bad the Iris garden I bought them from got closed down after the owner passed away. I cannot go back to ask for plant IDs. The garden is in a premium location right outside Washington Dc. Now a developer wants to turn it into a subdivision :o(

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/18/garden/18iris.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20140403/NEWS/140409607/vienna-developer-sets-sights-on-margaret-x2019-s-gardens&template=fairfaxTimes

Lyndon, IL(Zone 5a)

very interesting articles....this seems to be the fate of many iris gardens...the "care giver' gets too old, or passes away, and all the irises....along with their identities...just "disappear" ! Sad !

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

thank you for posting the links to the two articles. Sad times indeed!

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Donnerville, #2 has a good resemblance to Miss Indiana. Bloomed mid or late-mid season for me.

Thumbnail by iowhen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.