Vine for shade?

Eden, NY(Zone 5a)

Hello All,

I am looking for advice on a flowering vine for shade. 100% shade. To grow on a chain link fence. I'm in Zone 5. What would you plant?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I would really check on invasiveness of shade vines as many are very invasive.
Climbing Hydrangea 4-7
Virginia Creeper 3-9
Boston Ivy 4-8
Chinese Wisteria 5-8
Vinca Minor 4-8
Sweet Autumn Clematis 4-9
Emerald Gaiety Euonymus 5-8
English Ivy 4-9
Trumpet Vine 4-9
Honeysuckle 4-9

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Nice list Weeding!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I would echo the precaution about invasiveness as I spend much of my time pulling euonymus, japanese honeysuckle, vinca, English ivy, trumpet vine, virginia creeper, sweet autumn clematis, wild grape among a whole host of other aggressive woodland vines. Early in my gardening career, I regretfully planted a japanese honeysuckle vine w/ a beautiful golden variegation. I'm still pulling it by the handsful 15 years later... I use it as a cautionary tale.

I would heartily second the recommendation of climbing hydrangea. There are several varieties including daintier small leaf ('Brookside Littleleaf') and gold-variegated foliage ('Miranda') as well as the related schizophragma vine which is also beautiful.I have a bright gold-leafed climbing hydrangea which really brightens up a shady area, but I can't recall it's name. Another non-invasive option is hardy kiwi vine (arctinidia kolomikta) with showy leaf variegation. It's doing well for me in a hidden corner of my woods with virtually no care. Akebia can also be a pretty choice but I know it can be invasive in some areas...

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

Weerobin, does your hardy kiwi set fruit? I purchased one this year and have not found a place to plant it. I never considered shade. I do want fruit as I was told the fruit is very tasty.
I am constantly fighting the invasive honeysuckle, vinca, sweet autumn clematis, virginia creeper, trumpet vine and wild muscadine.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I think mine is a male, though I'm not really sure. I say so because mine has nice leaf variegation, which I think is more characteristic of male than female plants. I've never noticed any fruit anyway. But it's in a pretty out of the way place, so I may have overlooked it.

Eden, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the ideas. I've been leaning towards the climbing hydrangia. I'll have to look at that one some more.

Jennifer

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I have a client who has had a climbing hydrangea for many years. I help in tending it, and it really is quite easy, merely needing some cutting back every few years - and lovely!

Whereas their wisteria, which I do love, has to be cut back several times a season. It grows from the ground up to their second floor level patio and winds itself around things and gets in peoples' faces (mind you, I love that too!) It tires to grow up things that are not there.

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I currently have some trumpet honeysuckle blooming like crazy in deep shade under some oak trees. It did take a few years to get established but it is now over the top of a 7-foot trellis. (Don't use the common Japanese honeysuckle--it is highly invasive.)

I've had good luck with climbing hydrangea also. Plant files says it does grow in full shade but I've only tried it in light shade.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I have some Hybrid Clematis that do OK on a fence in full shade. Few blooms, but nothing is going to bloom much there anyway. Never a hint of invasiveness.

Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

I know this thread is old...but for those searching the archive. I have an akebia vine (chocolate vine) that does great in fairly heavy shade and even blooms. Semi-evergreen in my zone and the shade keeps it from needing too much pruning to be well behaved.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.