Is this a Prunus serotina?

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm pretty sure this is a Prunus serotina, but would appreciate some confirmation. I've never seen cherries on it. It's growing right behind my fence, so I think I would have noticed...and I would have lots of volunteers in my yard if it did!

I did some homework and think this is a match for the leaves: "Black cherry is characterized by having alternate simple leaves, 2-6 inches long, uniformly wide to lance-shaped, pointed at the tip, and with fine teeth which curve inward towards the tip of the leaf. The upper surface of the leaf is dark green and shiny; the lower surface is paler in color." http://www.extension.iastate.edu/forestry/iowa_trees/trees/black_cherry.html

It is growing in the shade of several tall trees. These photos were taken from 10-14 May. Sorry, they didn't load in the right order.

Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Looks like Black Cherry to me.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Are the flowers fragrant?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, Black Cherry for me too.

Resin

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks all. I can't remember whether there was a fragrance or not, so if there was one it must not have been very strong.

I'll keep my eyes open for cherries and try to beat the birds to a ripe one if there are any!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

There are little green cherries on the top branches...and lots of these strange-looking growths on the leaves. They remind me of the aphid galls on the leaves of my Hamamelis, but they're a very different shape. I'm sure some sort of insect larva are inside them.

Thumbnail by Muddy1

Wow, those are strange. Good camera work though Muddy, you brought those d@mn bugs right into my house!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Ha ha ha....I'll see if I can get a photo of them hatching, or whatever it is that they do, and send them crawling into your house!
I read that Black Cherry supports 456 different species of moths and butterflies, but I think something else is inside there.

Get a little gurney, strap the patient down and slice him open with your little scalpel, just to see who's hiding in there.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

There are eriophyid mites that cause spindle galls, such as you have shown. I have seen them on Sugar Maple - caused by Vasates aceriscrumena.

There are also apids, beetles, caterpillars, sawflies, midges, mites, psyllids, and wasps that engage in gall making on various species of plants. A search including Galls on Cherries should yield, uh, fruit...

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

ha ha ha ha!!!
I did indeed find fruit, in the form of this interesting article that explains why I've been seeing little pale blue butterflies all over the place. http://northernwoodlands.org/outside_story/article/horton-hears-a-what

They're Spring Azures, here to lay eggs that will turn into caterpillars that will eat those galls.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Isn't nature amazing!?

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

It sure is! I've been trying to get a photo of those Spring Azures, but they're very fast. I saw one resting on a leaf but it wouldn't let me get within 3 feet of it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.