Peony blooms 2015

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

This feels REALLY weird. Our southern friends, Steve Leahy or Cem always started the non-species thread (kudos to Weerobin) but my first peony bloomed this morning so...

The earliest picture is actually the one to the right. I have three peonies like this, and they are supposed to be Burma Midnight. I got them from Bannister. When I got the first one I knew it wasn't right, but you know, I really love it , I love having three, and the scent is intoxicating, and I have never had a peony bloom this early, but what the heck is it?

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Olathe, KS(Zone 5a)

My favorite is Vivid Rose, now in bloom, after my 3 coral colored ones. Same color.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for starting the thread, Donna. I can't say what your peony is, but I like it. My pink TP and the early red singles are just starting to open. Lots of big fat buds everywhere else. Photos to come after I find my camera charger :)

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Looking through Bannister, my guess is Edulis Superba. It's a nice mistake. I was going for earlier bloom and red, but I still have a Burma Ruby, and I have a Kansas and a new Paul M. Wild.

Actually, it reminds me of Lois, which I lost. And it really is gorgeous. I am going to be moving around peonies in the fall. The two ES I moved to the back didn't miss a beat. You really can get away with a lot when they are young.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

My edulis superba does look like that in bloom. But, there are so many in that range and size it is hard to be sure.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, thank you. That pretty much confirms it for me. I really didn't know there were any early intense pinks. It's quite a surprise.

LOVE the scent! Some colors I don't quite "get" on websites, but when I see them in person, I'm sold. This plant is like that.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

There's a reason it's been around a long time.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow! 1824!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Blooms in my yard are pretty beaten up by the rain that finally came! Maybe some pics to show in the next round of blossoms.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

It is very of you to respond. It just shows, as I have long known, what a terrific person you are, but everyone went over to All Things Plants. Cem seems to have started there. It would have been nice to know, but it's fine. They took my photos from Cubits without my permission. I don't post there.

Seems a shame. You think you have relationships, and then you realize that you don't. Lesson learned!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.