May 22nd, 2015: Floribunda 'Cherry Parfait' (Rosa ) by Calif_Sue

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

The Bloom of the Day for May 22nd, 2015 was Floribunda 'Cherry Parfait' (Rosa ).

View the bloom of the day here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/botd.php?date=2015-05-22

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Always one of my favorite shots of that rose, thanks Kell!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Speaking of a mystical inner light!!! It is an extraordinary rose and very hard to capture in a photo but you sure nailed it.

Took tons of photos of it at the rose garden, was bound to get something decent! :-)

Every time I have seen this one it always seems to be a healthy plant, do you have it? I never got one because it did not fit my color scheme but I think it would be worth planting it somewhere in a cutting garden section just for those fabulous blooms.

This message was edited Jun 9, 2015 11:46 PM

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow! That is just breathtaking.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Stunning photo - love the lighting.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Lost track of your question, Sue. I did grow it but not sure what happened to it. My roses are being strangled by a vine that escaped. I have to have my front bed pulled out and replanted. It has gotten away from me. This rose sure would be worth growing wherever you have a spot. Just gorgeous!

Hi Ms.Pirl!

Hi, Kell!

You and Sue are tempting me too much. Once my transplanted roses begin to grow, if I have room, I'd buy it in a minute.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

What roses do you have Arlene? I am going to have no roses! They need to much care, too much water and too many diseases. I am going to get a succulent garden installed as soon as this drought is over and as soon as I find someone to do it.

Sue, remember that succulent garden in Cambria? I want that guy to do it but I do not think they come north this far.

Just a few, Kell. For climbers I have Falstaff in the rose garden and Royal Sunset in "The Park" (formerly the vegetable garden, now redone).

The deer ate the buds of several floribundas so I had my guy move a few to the safety of The Park: Julia Child, Tuscan Sun, Sheila's Perfume (died recently), two new Moondance from J & P, Black Cherry, Burgundy Iceberg, and the recently departed Oso Easy Mango Salsa. Last week I added Chihuly.

There are a few others in the rose garden - The McCartney Rose, Barbara Bush, Lagerfeld, Peace (two - one is tree form) and a rugosa, Therese Bugnet. In other gardens (unprotected) there's a sweet red "Carpet Rose" and a pink from J & P's test garden years ago.

A Graham Thomas manages to live and give blooms with just a few cases of blackspot in its past. Now that I have the deer fencing (my version) I hope to get more blooms.

All roses in the park are shown here and are at the front and sides of the tuteur. They are planted in the area covered by the long pine needles (lighter in color than the pine bark mulch). I'll be adding 67 dahlias soon. They're all being hardened off now - some are 2' tall already, others with just small sprouts. I spent Sunday planting dozens of annuals and the cast iron box we bought on Cape Cod (lobsterrollville).

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

You have some nice ones for sure! Just looking at them gets me lusting after them again! I will admit few plants can rival a rose bush in its first bloom in spring!! I had to look a few of yours up. Therese Bugnet is incredible! And Falstaff is another looker. There is a Julia Child tree rose close to me and it just is solid yellow for 2 weeks in May. Amazing!!

67 dahlias will be amazing in bloom. Looks like you have most months covered as far as blooming goes.

You have to show us your cast iron planter all done up. Anything from Lobsterville must be special!

I do remember that succulent garden because we go to Cambria ever few years for our anniversary. I have taken many photos of it, it's just fabulous!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.