Growing Garlic

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

What can you tell me about growing garlic? I've never grown it before, but we use a lot of it in cooking.

A lady at my daughter's church gave her a bunch of garlic plants and she gave them to me. They each had small bulbs like green onions, the tops were cut off about 6" long, and they were tied in bunches. The lady said they were overcrowding their spot in her garden so she pulled a bunch of plants to thin them out. These folks live on a farm, and their family has grown this variety of garlic there for over 100 years because the flavor is so good.

I mixed some compost into the soil of a corner of my garden and planted all these several inches apart. They started growing immediately, and the 'scrapes' (green shoots) have a real nice flavor.

It's too wet and rainy to get in the garden today, so I had to reach over a fence and take this picture straight down.

After some reading I believe these are "hard neck" garlic as opposed to "soft neck", those are the two major kinds - can anyone here tell me for sure. Within those types, there are apparently 600+ known varieties so there's no telling what exact one I've got.

Tell me about growing, harvesting, and using this kind of garlic, please. Thanks!

Oh, in my reading I came across a 'saying' from New York City from many years ago, probably from the Italian immigrant community - it's so good I have to share it:

"A dime will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat!" LOL

Thumbnail by Ozark
SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Sam,
From what I've learned over here about garlic, first of all it has a long season of growing --approximately 8 months. So make sure wherever you plant it, you won't need that space for a while.

Also, garlic seems to be planted over a cool season, so that it matures in the late spring - early summer time.

Linda

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

Very old saying about garlic: (I don't know what type)
"Plant it on the shortest day; Harvest on the longest day."

It also works to plant it on the fall equinox and harvest on the spring equinox.

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

The garlic was given to us by a lady thinning out an overabundance, so I didn't have any choice about when to plant it. It's growing real well, though, and I intend to give it that little corner of my garden permanently. From what I've read, when garlic plants are left in the ground and not harvested, then each clove grows a new plant and the garlic bed becomes an ongoing thing.

That's what I'll do - just hand-weed in that corner that I can't reach with a plow anyway, and I'll always leave some plants in the ground to carry on. That's what the family who gave it to me has done for four generations now. :>)

Nibbling on the new shoots it's growing, this garlic tastes a LOT better than the store-bought kind, so I think I've got a good, useful thing going. I'm still not sure whether this garlic is "hard-neck" or "soft-neck" - can anyone here tell from the picture?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I've been hesitating to post, because of the huge difference between my zone and yours. Zone/climate issue will determine which types grow best in your area as well as when it is best to plant in your area, so anything I might say along those lines will almost certainly be wrong for your situation. I have always found my county agricultural extension agency to be the absolute best source of information on these particular things, as that agency knows the optimum varieties and planting dates for all garden vegetables in ones area.

If you don't know you ext agency, try googling for them based on your county or city. It is usually a university in your state. Mine is Clemson U here in SC. Clemson posts excellent online info sheets (pdf) for garden vegetables; for each veg including garlic, these pages tell us optimum planting dates (range) for spring, summer, and fall for each region in the state, along with recommended varieties that have been tested to perform well here and any other tips and info specific to our area. I cannot overstate what an invaluable asset this is and why I highly recommend you check with your ag ext agency to obtain info specific to your area.

As for the hard neck, soft neck thing - and I'm pretty sure there is one other category - I looked all that up once, studied it, and have now pretty much forgotten most of it. The soft neck types are the ones with necks/leaves which can be dried and braided for hanging and such. Soft neck varieties can be dried for longer storage. This is why most supermarket garlic is the softneck type. Hard neck varieties can usually only be kept for about 6mo max.

The main thing I wanted to tell you is that, at least in my area, garlic is incredibly easy to grow. I have never actually gotten around to buying 'proper' garlic for planting, but most years I do plant garlic. I just pick up 2 or 3 heads of garlic from the supermarket, separate the cloves, and plant them. It's that simple. Even the grocery store garlic will produce. 2 heads usually produces more than I can use for the year. When I plant 3 heads, I end up putting garlic in everything and using double and triple what the recipe says.

I'm told that grocery store garlic is treated to prevent sprouting, but I have never had one fail to work; in fact, even what I buy for cooking (in years I don't plant) will often start to sprout if not eaten fast enough. I'm also told other varieties available for planting have much better flavor than the grocery store variety. This I don't doubt, and I'm determined to remember to buy some of these other varieties some day. If I recall correctly, my research indicated that the garlic sold in grocery stores is usually a softneck type.

As to planting at what may not be the optimum time, I tend to plant my garlic at the 'wrong' time more often than not, and I still get tons of garlic. Most of the time garlic which is planted just a little late will still produce in the specified year (in my area); however, if I plant so late that the garlic doesn't have time to produce before it gets too cold, the garlic will overwinter in the ground and produce an early spring harvest. I don't know for sure if the same is true for your area though, because here the ground doesn't freeze in winter and we rarely have even a dusting of snow. Lots of differences between our 2 zones.

Edited to fix my previously erroneous comment about softneck vs hardneck.

This message was edited May 24, 2015 5:23 PM

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Just wanted to clarify my above remarks. I mentioned that, due largely to a lack of planning necessary to secure 'proper' garlic for planting, I usually end up planting cloves from supermarket garlic, and while I don't doubt that there are many more tasty varieties available, I get a decent harvest just from supermarket garlic alone. I mentioned this not to recommend you adopt this practice but rather as a means to illustrate just how incredibly easy it is to grow garlic - at least in my area. I just separate one of those grocery store heads of garlic into individual cloves, push the cloves into good garden soil about 4-6in apart and water them in with a dilute fertilizer (relatively low nitrogen). That's it. That's all I do. I've grown them in large pots and in the ground; the bulbs tend to grow larger when planted in the ground, but, otherwise, both work fine.

So far I've just never run into a problem with garlic. I've read that one of the biggest problems one may have with garlic is some kind of garlic maggot or mite, but so far I've been lucky and haven't had any insect pests attack my garlic.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Softneck varieties dry well and keep longer. Hardneck varieties must be eaten faster. Most will keep less than 6mo, some max out at 3mo. Softnecks tend to have milder flavor. Hardnecks offer a nearly inexhaustible flavor variety, and are sometimes compared with wine in this respect, Some are very spicy, others less so. For many hardnecks the flavor is said to be soil dependent, again like wine.

A good choice might be to grow enough basic, dependable softneck garlic to get you through the year, and then maybe experiment with small qtys of this or that hardneck variety. The softneck to give you a dependable harvest to last all year, the hardneck to provide variety and permit experimentation.

I don't know how to tell the 2 types apart when at the immature stage such as in your photo; however, it is easy to tell them apart once the bulbs develop. Softneck garlic grows in an artichoke-like pattern with overlapping cloves almost like rose petals, whereas hardneck does not. Hardneck cloves are packed more like orange or grapefruit segments, except that there will probably be one or two center cloves. They are like orange or grapefruit segments in that each clove goes all the way from top to bottom; cloves are not arranged like artichoke or rose petals. Usually hardneck types have fewer but larger cloves vs softneck.

One other thing you will need to know is when to harvest your garlic. 1st, you generally don't want the garlic to bloom. If it sends up a bloom stalk, you should cut this off. These scapes are said to be delicious in stirfries. Look for recipes online if needed. Just don't allow the scapes to grow and develop as doing so will result in very small garlic bulbs.

You will know when your garlic is nearly harvest time when the leaves start to turn yellowish and just generally appear to deteriorate. If possible, withhold water for 2wks beginning as soon as you notice the foliage deterioration. Then harvest the garlic. Because I'm not that trusting, I like to gently dig up one bulb to see if I agree that it's really ready, before I dig them all up. If it doesn't appear fully developed, I may leave them a couple more weeks. However, this is a dangerous thing to do, because if you leave them too long, the foliage may deteriorate too much, leaving you with garlic which lacks the thin, papery skin (covering the neck) necessary to dry properly for long term storage. When harvesting, if you find a few bulbs from which the foliage has deteriorated all the way down into the bulb, you should set those bulbs aside to use 1st.

After you dig the garlic, you need to leave it in a cool, dry place (out of direct sunshine) to dry. This, before they dry, is the proper time to braid softneck types (if you plan to do so). Some authorities suggest digging the garlic (either type) and then leaving the garlic plants in the garden, in a shady area, for a couple days to dry. That will definitely not work here. We get almost daily rain here in summer, mostly afternoon and evening showers, but more than enough to make a disaster out of all that nearly-dry garlic.

Once dry you can store garlic bulbs in those mesh bags, the type onions come in. Or you can store them in the leg(s) from old pantyhose. I like this method best as it prevents bulbs from touching each other. Cut the leg(s) from old pantyhose at the top of the thigh. Fill one leg at a time. Drop one garlic bulb in, allowing it to fall all the way to the toe. Allowing enough space for the garlic bulb to fit comfortably, tie a loose knot in the hose just above the bulb. Drop another bulb into hose/leg. Tie another knot. Repeat until all garlic bulbs are in the stocking or until the stocking is full. You should now have a long, single file, 'stream' of garlic bulbs each covered by a thin veil of gossamer stocking material and all separated by knots in the stocking. Hang stocking from a high hook or nail in the basement, pantry, garage, etc. Choose a location that stays cool (but well above freezing) and dark or shady.

Hope this helps.

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

DreamOfSpring, thanks for all the good information. I'm bookmarking this thread so I can come back to what you wrote in each stage of garlic-growing.

As you say, our areas are much different. I have a fishing buddy in SC, and he fishes all winter but has to stay inside by the AC in the summertime. Winters here, I'm looking at snow out our windows while he's sending me fishing / camping pictures. Complete opposites.

My daughter got more information yesterday from the people at her church who gave us this garlic. It's an heirloom variety their family is very proud of, and they've kept it going through the generations since at least the 1890's and possibly even back to Civil War times or earlier. It is prized for its flavor, and back when this was more of a vegetable-farming area this garlic variety won many prizes at county fairs and so forth. If the variety was ever given a name they've forgotten it, but many starts were given away over the years and at one time most all the older farming families around here were growing it.

Pretty sure it's a hard-neck variety, as they do braid the stems and hang the garlic in bunches to let the cloves dry. When / if I get a harvest later this year, I'll be happy to send you some to plant, if you'd like. Thanks again!

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Ozark.

We have the same zone so maybe I can help. Knowing if it is hard or soft neck is important since the hard neck is planted in the fall and harvested the next summer while I believe the soft neck can be grown throughout the summer and succeeds better in the south. In fact, I'm not sure we can grow soft neck in my area. All that is offered is the hard neck.

Here we plant in Oct around Columbus day. Last year I planted the end of Sept because I was going away and they are huge at the moment! Around June the next year the scapes begin to form. When they start to curl we cut them off and use them for cooking. About the middle of July to the end the garlic leaves will start to turn brown. They can be harvested when half of the leaves are brown. As mentioned above you want to harvest them before the bulb splits open but not too early. The drying information above is the same.
Save the largest cloves to replant in the fall.
It's really easy once you get it going year after year!

Shawnee Mission, KS(Zone 6a)

Ozark - Easy way to tell if the difference - hard-neck garlic have scapes and soft-neck do not.

In our area, hard-neck garlic is planted in the fall (Oct) and harvest it in July when a lot of the bottom leaves are brown. Soft-neck is planted in the spring and harvest in the fall. The soft-neck is not as hardy (does not make it through the winter weather) as the hard-neck variety. We use both the scapes and the young greens when cooking. I also occasionally pull a "green" or immature garlic and use it to cook with. Pick the scapes when the stem is still tender or very flexible or they will be woody.

If it's a family heirloom then you might consider asking them if they are interested in giving some of the extra garlic to Seed Savers.

This message was edited Jun 12, 2015 5:46 AM

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

My garlic stays inground all year, and I use what I need when I need it til it dies back. We always grew it under the edge of a tree on the se side of the tree. Worms love the soil, and with time this becomes a great bed. Luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.