Orchid Beginner Seeking Help

Summerville, SC

I got an Orchid the other day and it seems under the weather. Some roots are dry and black in some spots and it seems to resemble sun burn? I could be totally wrong. I want to trim them off and repot it but I've heard that you shouldn't when it's in bloom. It also seems to be in non-proper "soil" so I was going to pick some up but, again, I was unsure if it was a bad idea. I'm also wondering what kind of pot would be best for it? It's a miniature orchid and cute as a button so I want to do my best to make it happy! Tips and info would be greatly appreciated!

Please and thank you!

Thumbnail by acertainpanda Thumbnail by acertainpanda Thumbnail by acertainpanda Thumbnail by acertainpanda Thumbnail by acertainpanda
Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

First, your orchid is a Phalaenopsis, one of the easiest orchids to grow. With Phalaenopsis, less is more. Your orchid looks very healthy. Those lush green roots are a sign that all is well. I can't see the black spots you are seeing - maybe another photo? I do see what looks like broken roots. Is that what you are seeing?

Lift the plant out of the ceramic pot and look through the plastic liner. If you see green roots, all is well. Water when you can't feel any moisture when you put your finger in the hole in the bottom of the plastic liner. If there is no dampness, fill the ceramic pot with water (if it has no hole or another container that the entire liner fits into if it does have a hole). The idea is to completely soak the moss the the orchid is rooted in - when it stops bubbling, its done. That should take just a couple minutes. Don't ever let your orchid sit in water.

It will be happiest in an east or south facing window, especially if the window is over a sink - in the kitchen or bathroom window. Direct sun will burn it.

It should bloom for months. When the flowers have all died, resist the temptation to "clean up". A happy Phalaenopsis will re-bloom on the same stem. If part of the stem turns brown, cut off that part. Otherwise, leave it alone.

As I state above, less is more. Phalaenopsis are epyphitic (that means they don't root in dirt). Their homes are in the crooks of trees high in the canopy. The roots, as well as the leaves, photosynthesize as the roots would normally be exposed. People who own fancy greenhouses have the luxury of mounting these plants on boards - the rest of us plant them in moss to keep the roots hydrated. The most common problem with Phalaenopsis is that we, in out attempt to make them happy, over water.

Hope this helps.

Daisy

Summerville, SC

Here's some better pictures.

Also, thank you!

One more question though, should I cut out the bad roots or wait? The same for repotting into a better mix, should I wait? I plan on bettering the grey pot it is in, there's a plastic cup with a hole in the bottom that it's in and that sits in the grey pot. I just heard that if there are blooms, repotting should not be done. I don't want to harm it but I also want it to be groomed and have healthy roots and soil.

Thumbnail by acertainpanda Thumbnail by acertainpanda
Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Those roots look like they were broken. I wouldn't worry about them. I wouldn't re-pot either. The medium its in works quite well and the plastic liner lets you know all you need to know: That the roots are still healthy and when it needs water. There's really nothing to do right now but enjoy.

Orchids only need re-potting when the medium (moss in this case) starts to break down. The pot should be on the small side also. Remember, all the pot is doing is supporting the plant and all the moss is doing is keeping the roots hydrated. There is a man in my Orchid club that grows his Phalaenopsis in empty pots - of course, he has to water them a couple times a day and keeping the humidity high enough is a problem but his orchids are blooming sitting in their empty pots.

The only thing for you to do right now is replace the ceramic pot with something you like better.

Daisy

Summerville, SC

Thank you!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Ok, but mine is really bad. Got it for my b'day the first of March, in full bloom, 2 long branches tied to wires and they only when I felt sorry for it and watered did it drop any flowers. So, I have only watered 2 times in all that time, sprayed the air roots instead. The last time it started losing all it's flowers and now, overnight the one branch turned redish brown. Looks dead?? I hate it when people spend so much money on plants I know nothing about.

So, what do I do now? jen

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

DaisyPlantLady, why would he water a couple times a day, and wouldn't they be sitting in water if he did? I have mine sitting on a humidifier grill thing which I thought was good for it, but maybe not. When I lift the inside pot out of the clay pot it is in, there are a lot of roots hanging out of the pot. Guess the pot is just resting on them. But, if I were to water it, they would be sitting in water I am sure,

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Hi Jen,

His pots are plastic orchid pots - lots of slits and holes. You have to lift the inner pot out to water or fill the outer pot, leave for a minute or so and empty it.

You didn't say if the roots are still green or 1. brown and mushy or 2. brown and dried up. You also don't say what the leaves look like. A photo is worth a thousand words. Attach one of the roots and leaves.

If the roots are green and plump and it has green leaves, your plant is healthy.
1. roots brown and mushy - too much water
2. roots brown and dry - not enough water

Could be that the flowers were old when you got the plant. It could be that the change in environment shocked it a little and the blooms dropped. But, you had it in bloom for 3 months - I would say that was excellent.

Humidity is good up to a point. If the plant is always wet, it will rot. Remember, these plants are usually hanging from a tree were the air is humid and the plants get watered when it rains. There is nothing to catch or hold the water - they get that dousing and then they are done until the next rain.

Hope this helps.

Daisy

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Sorry to butt in, but Jnette, I think you mis- read Daisy's post. The man grows them in EMPTY clay pots, so the water only wets the roots. I'm sure they are also orchid pots which have drainage on the sides, as well as the bottom..
You don't say what type of medium yours is planted in, but if it looks healthy, your probably watering correctly.
If you can keep Phals alive for a couple of years, it means you're doing it right, but a happy Phal is not a very tidy house plant. Their roots will grow out of the pot. I have one with 2' roots hanging out...not real pretty, but it is a healthy plant. Mine would go outside, but it gets too warm and dry for the here.
I know nobody ever reads those "stickys" at the top of the page, but there is some good advice in them.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Oops! cross posted.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Ok, will answer these tomorrow and include a couple of pictures. jen/jnette

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Sorry it took me so long, new computer, new browser, and new photo program and my daughter helping me long distance. Guess I'm luck to get here this soon. Anyway, I forgot how to cancel all pictures but the ones I wanted to keep so you got them all.

1 and 2 please note the obvious they lost all blooms but 2. They were both full. Ok, but then notice the red stem/trunk on the one on the right. It did this half way down overnight, and then the rest of the way within the next 2 nights.

3 and 4, are obvious also, except for #4 has a dead leaf on the left hand side that you don't see on #3.

Ok, I have to send this to be able to go back and answer your questions. I can't see them from here. Jen

Thumbnail by Jnette Thumbnail by Jnette Thumbnail by Jnette Thumbnail by Jnette
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Daisy, the roots are brown and dry. not mushy. Not enough water you say, however whenever I watered it, it immediately lost blossoms and the leaves go down. There is a hole in the clay pot and I have it sitting on a humidifier grill so it would not have been sitting in water. I don't think it was overly humidified as there is not always water under the grill.

Carol, it is in Orchid mix I am sure. Ok, as you both can see, the one on the right obviously died in the last week. WHY??

Thank you ladies, if you can answer any of this mystery, using the pictures and my answers, I would appreciate it, so will turn the thread back to the Panda >smile< and thank you for being patient with my hijacking your thread for a few days. Jen

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Jen,

That is an orchid in desperate need of a drink. If it is in some sort of bark, the bark has gotten too dry. The dying stems, the dried up roots and the soft look of the leaves all point to not enough water. The leaves probably feel soft too - they should be hard and un-bendable. When you pinch them between your fingers, they should have no give. Most Phalaenopsis these days come in moss which holds water better and requires less water.

All you can do now is soak the plant, pot and all, in water. The bark will float so fill the container you are soaking in just to the rim of the pot. Let it sit for about 5 or ten minutes and drain. Keep it humid. Repeat the soak every few days. It will start to root at the base of the plant; some of those roots will go down into the bark if the bark is damp enough.

Hopefully, the leaves will have enough reserve to grow new roots. Maybe there are a few green roots in the center of the pot that you can't see. Re-potting in a clear plastic orchid pot would help you monitor the health of your orchid. They more easily recover from being too dry than too wet.

Keep us posted,

Daisy

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

OK Daisy, you're on. Going in now to do it. I had some moss I was using for something else I think I might add a little to this. OK? Just on top? Jen

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

It would help hold some moisture in the bark

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I soaked it for 10 minutes, it is draining and I also soaked the moss. Will put that on before I get it out of the sink. Thanks for all your help. I am going to copy and paste your directions above and put in my save file. Will look at it every once i a while. Also, when I get time I will read the sticky above. jen

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Daisy, should the leaves on my plant be standing straight up like the first poster's? Gosh, how can I make them do that if they should be?

I soaked my orchid again today. Sure hope I'm not over doing it. The roots did start puffing up after the first soak. I thought looking good. I could see the breakage of Panda's roots, but the roots really looked good. The green color looked so good. To me, with the brown dried up roots.

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

You can cut off the brown dried up roots with some sharp, sterilized scissors (wipe the blades with alcohol. A lot of orchid viruses are spread by using dirty cutters but that's another topic).

The orchids leaves don't need to stick straight up, just be hard and slick to the touch. Mine seem to go any direction they want - sort of like my cat. The roots will go every which way too but some will go down to anchor it into the pot. If it wobbles in the pot, anchor it with string or rubber bands until it roots.

If you saw the roots perk up after soaking, sounds like all is good. Only soak when you no longer feel any moisture in the bark (stick your finger down an inch or so to check). The bark will retain more moisture for a longer period now that it has been soaked but, as its bark, more ofter than if it was in moss.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Daisy, I will do all that. But, what about this one orchid that has turned completely red? Is it dead? Should I cut it off? What about the leaves? Do any of them belong to the orchid that is red? Can I do anything about it?

Thank you for your help Daisy, and my orchid thanks you for saving it's life. Jen

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

The leaves are red? The stem is red? Send a photo.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Wow, for some reason the system here did not send me a notification that you had responded to me. Just looked and here it was. The whole stem is brown now. So, assuming it is dead. But, all these leaves don't belong to the one do they? Shouldn't I cut the dead one off? Then will it get a new one?

I was looking at the other thread where the fellow posted a couple of pictures of his wife's orchid that he put in his greenhouse. Looks like he cut the dead one off and is now getting a new "spike", he called it. Think I will cut mine off. I want a spike like he has.

I was going to send a couple of pictures to show you, but still can't figure this picture system out. Anyway, the dead one I am calling it is like the one on the other guy's that has been cut off Same thing. Blossoms all died and fell off, now the stem is gone. The one that is alive still has one good flower on it. Jen

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

If the stem is brown all the way down, you can cut it off. If only part brown, cut just above the green and it may branch.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Wish I had known that earlier, it was brown about half way down for about 3 days and then went the rest of the way. Will watch the other one and do that if it stops for a bit. Thanks Carol.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

OMG Daisy, Carol, you guys are not going to believe it, I was looking to see if/where I could cut the brown one off, and guess what!!! I have about a half inch "spike" like the other guy has on his wife's orchid!

How cool is that! Coming right up out of the middle. So now, I am going to watch it and fasten it to the wire of the one I cut off. Here I was sure I had killed it. Now, will it get buds on it and bloom again?????

Thank you guys so much for your help. I have never had an orchid before. I do like watering this way, but know I cannot continue to soak it like that. Even tho it really likes it. Does great every time I soaked it. HOwever, now my SO has taken it over. He fertilizes all the container plants on the deck every Sunday morning. Well, that is what he did with the orchid. He fertilized it along with the rest. So, now how should it be watered? Jen

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

That depends on the weather, potting medium , humidity, and as Daisy said stick your finger down in the mix, or a freshly sharpened pencil. If it's moist don't water. The rule of thumb for feeding is weakly, weekly. That depends on how often you water though, and you do need to flush with clear water to keep the fertilizer salts from building up. I water mine by flooding twice, 30 min. apart with clear water, then one more time 30 min. later with 1/4 strength orchid food in the water. It's time consuming, but it works for me. I don't waste my precious rain water because I use a 1gal. sprayer. How ever you water do flush between feedings.
I hope your hubby knows not to leave water in the crown of the plant.

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Yeh!

Everything Occarol said with an emphasis on the fertilizing part.

These plants are epiphytic - that means they spend their lives attached to a tree up in the canopy. The only fertilizer they get is from decomposing leaves that fall into them. They are photosynthesizing both with their leaves and roots. They need minimal fertilizer. I don't fertilize mine often as they are above a pond where my turtle and some koi live. If I think they need fertilizer, I have to move them all, fertilize then water a couple times before returning them to their homes. A lot of work.

I am attaching a photo I took in March when some of the orchids first started blooming. They haven't been fertilized in a year.

Daisy

Thumbnail by DaisyPlantLady
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Those are just lovely Daisy. Tell me, the white ones hanging over the water, look like they are so heavy they have snapped their stems. Is that right?

Couldn't you water them with some of the koi turtle water? Wouldn't that be fertilizer? Or, do you put chemicals in the water?

I'm assuming they are attached to the net? What do you do in the winter? Reno gets pretty cold doesn't it? You don't have a zone on your profile, but I am thinking it is a pretty high altitude. Anyway, they are gorgeous. How many do you have? Jen

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

The white one had so many flowers that it started to droop and I let it - the main stems were staked but it branched several times. It bloomed for several months and was pretty spectacular.

The water in the turtle pond is filtered but no chemicals. I don't use any chemicals in my greenhouse as I also have a tree frog colony that hitched rides in some of my plants when I moved from California. They take care of most of the insect problems. My only fear is that I step on one when I am walking through the greenhouse but they move pretty fast. The tadpoles are turning into microscopic frogs right now.

They are all in a greenhouse that is heated in the wintertime. I am in Zone 6 or 7, I'm not sure. The altitude is about 5000 ft. and low winter temps are -5 to -10.

How many do I have? hmmm... Not sure. (Hubby would say too many) I lost some moving last year and I sold quite a few at the Church rummage sale last month. I am trying to get away from Phalaenopsis and grow something a little more challenging but a few will have to stay.

Daisy

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well, whatever they are, they are beautiful. I discovered today that the "spike" mine is getting isn't one. It is a new leaf, which is just as good to me. I love those leaves. Since I have been soaking them, the leaves have gotten the nice stiffness to them that you described and are rising. Very nice I don't think I am ready for new blossoms now anyway.

I don't think I am turning into an Orchid hobbyist, but sure want to take care of the one I have. Thanks to you and Carol for all the help. Might have to get back to you again for it. Jen

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Jen,

In the fall, drop the temperature your orchid is living in to 60 or 65* and don't water as often. It will reward you by setting buds next winter and blooming in the spring.

Good luck.

Daisy

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Thank you Daisy. I am saving all of your and Carol's advice. I am pleased so far because I am seeing a new sign of life with the new leaf and that is exciting because i was sure I had killed it. Think I found you guys just in time. jen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.