First bloomin' pernennial for us

(Zone 4b)

I know I am late with this post but probably not too late ;).

This plant came up through the ground really early and growth was vigorous. I knew I planted something there last season but until it showed flowers (just today i.e. May 3) I had forgotten what it was!

"Spring Vetchling" (Lathyrus vernus)

Here is picture from just a couple of days later...so around May 5.

I will plant some more this season as it is eye catching with its flowers so early in our season, against the predominant backdrop of grey/brown leaf litter.

(UPDATE: Two weeks later there are still flowers but it appear to be going to seed).

Do you recall what was your *first* blooming perennial for 2015?

Thumbnail by rouge21
Natick, MA

Rouge,
VERY PRETTY!

My lungwort (pulmonaria) and Tiarella have bloomed the earliest, I think! Small plants, but quite the show for the size! I'm very pleased!

No real "biggies" yet, but everything is sprouting and growing in the north east after a tough winter!

Thumbnail by valal Thumbnail by valal
(Zone 4b)

Excellent 'valal'. (My tiarella are just starting to bloom but they wont be at their peak for another 7 to 10 days or so)

If my 'Vetchling' were blooming 2 weeks from now it wouldnt be a big deal as the flowers are small but to happen in the first week of May is their claim to fame. And you can plant them almost anywhere w/o worrying about light conditions as so early in the season the trees are basically still leafless!

This message was edited May 18, 2015 8:27 AM

Beaver Falls, PA(Zone 6a)

My first blooming perennial this year was definitely Pulmonaria - Mrs. Moon?- given to me by a friend. It's always a welcome sight after such a long, hard winter.

Linda

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

One can get earlier bloom yet with some of the following non-bulb perennials... and who doesn't like an early start to the season?
Hepatica nobilis, Hepatica transsilvanica, Pulsatilla vulgaris and Corydalis solida are all very early bloomers (starting in March and April, despite this being zone 3), usually among the earliest here (at the same time or slightly after the earliest small bulbs). They're all easy growers and are widely available. Highly recommended!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Hepatica nobilis and H. transsilvanica, March 30 - many more flowers later; one of the first Pulsatilla vulgaris (many more flowers later too, especially on mature plants), March 29; Physochlaina orientalis, March 30 - this one is a bit of an oddity, but worth seeking out for early bloom; Corydalis solida 'Beth Evans', April 10 - many very nice cultivars of this species.

This has been an early spring this year, but these species are always very early, nonetheless, and really extend the season.

This message was edited May 23, 2015 12:39 PM

Thumbnail by altagardener Thumbnail by altagardener Thumbnail by altagardener Thumbnail by altagardener Thumbnail by altagardener
Natick, MA

Alta,
ALL are VERY lovely!
I tried to WS Pulsatilla vulgaris this year, but didnt get any germination.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Here are a couple more very early-blooming perennials - these are not quite so easy to come by but are very worth seeking out:
Adonis vernalis (shown - started blooming around April 19; it has not only a very early bloom but also a good, long one) and other perennial Adonis species; Jeffersonia dubia - full bloom April 20 (shown) and Jeffersonia diphylla (which is native to eastern North America):

This message was edited May 24, 2015 10:47 AM

Thumbnail by altagardener Thumbnail by altagardener
Beaver Falls, PA(Zone 6a)

Ooooo, I almost forgot to add my Helebore. It blooms around the same time as the Pulmonaria.

I too had a Pasque Flower ( Pulsatilla vulgaris), had it tucked in between two hostas. DH was weeding before mulching and pulled it out, thinking it was a weed! I've never been able to find another one locally to replace it. I'd love to have another one.

Linda

Natick, MA

Alta - Two more gorgeous blooms from your garden...that adonis v. is VERY striking!
Igrow - SO sad! I tell hubby to stay out of my garden, as this has happened to me also. He does other yardwork, tho :o)

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi valal and altagardner, what lovely flowering plants. I just got a chance to take pictures of mine.All my dianthus came up nicely and my hosta did well dispite the harsh winter we had. The azalea bush did nicely too, I have been grooming the red one for a while now and this is the best bloom it has produced

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf

The purple columbine did well too, I stayed at a bed and breakfast in P A a few years ago and asked the owner for some seeds from her plant and I sowed them . I just love columbines.

Thumbnail by cytf
Natick, MA

I moved some columbine seedlings from one house to another last late summer/early fall. This year I got leaves, but no blooms. Too small??? I thought they would bloom,even a little this year.

I lost 3 out of 4 dianthus I put in last fall, cytf. I'm guessing drainage is the issue (??) but I thought they would be good. I wintersowed 2 types, so we'll see. I enjoy seeing all the pretty blooms. I think one of my azaleas is in need of a good "haircut" tho its blooms are still so profuse.

Valal Columbines are very fussy, that happened to me the first time I moved a columbine plant as it did not flower until the following year. They do not like to be moved because they have long roots.I think the rule is to prune azaleas in early July . My dianthus are planted in full sun and they do well every year. I have one in sun to shade area it does not do that well so I will transplant it this season.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Hellebores are without question the earliest blooming perennial in my yard. Any week or two of semi-warmth during the winter and they'll perk up and start sending up blooms. I've had them bloom under a light blanket of snow in January. They invariably get beaten back by more winter blasts, but after any lull are ready to pop again. This one is from February this year (#1). H. foetidus is the very earliest for me, but I can't say I find it's flowers attractive (blooming before Christmas #2). Also very early (mid-march for me) are some of the cardamines (such as heptaphylla #3). And of course anemones (such as a. blanda pictured #4, mid-march also), but there are many others which are equally early blooming. And I love houstonia for it's early bloom (#5), not quite as early as the others, maybe end of march/early april. And of course, I've got a lot of less common things which bloom super early also - for those with a taste for the unusual...

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Here are a couple of my earliest perennials. The first two pics were taken on 4/12. The third pic was taken 4/19.

Bloodroot
NOID Hellebore
Pasque flower

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
(Zone 4b)

Quote from altagardener :
Corydalis solida 'Beth Evans', April 10 - many very nice cultivars of this species.

I had omitted our earlier blooming Corydalis solida 'George Baker' as having planted it in the fall as ....corm/tuber I kind of didn't consider it as a (traditional) perennial....more like a bulb...it fades away like our bulbs also.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I love the flowers and zones here , this kind of thread is interesting
These had been April and May

Mohave purple prince Tulips , were first Followed Daffodils
Peony finished about a week ago
Penstemon Cobea , or foxglove , First week of April through a week ago
iris in April .
Thalictrum Last week of march , through April ,

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yeah , I know ,, but the Cobea and Thalictrum are traditional perennials

(Zone 4b)

Quote from juhur7 :

Thalictrum Last week of march , through April ,

I love Thalictrum and yours was close to 8 weeks ahead of mine!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.