Alikat's June Plant Swap

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Hi Everyone,
I love DG, gardening, and plant trading! I often search around to find DGer's to trade with....then a few years ago I found DJ's trade threads and I've had great fun chatting, looking, and learning about new plants! Since DJ is passing the torch on her monthly trading I thought I'd try to do one in her honor!

So - if you want to join this swap...respond and let me know. Sometimes people want to make two trades - so if you do - let me know that as well.

I'll gather names until May 30th....then I'll match you up with a partner....and the two of you can decide what you have to trade with each other.

All boxes should be mailed out by June 30th...plants should be healthy and dug with a good root system. All plants need to be labeled as well so your trade partner can plant them in the correct area of the gardens.

To facilitate our trading.....there will be a thread that will be for what you have and what you want....that way we won't need to keep listing it for every trade we do! Please post your haves and wants here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1394782/

Hope you can join us for some fantastic trading!

Candi

Trading:
Alikat -
Nanny23 -
DJ9 -
Iowhen -
WWK -

This message was edited May 22, 2015 10:05 PM

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

I'll JOIN ya & TY For taken over I Love this but just getting to hard for me to keep up ty for taken on the task & I will help if you need :)

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Yeah DJ! Maybe you can have more fun and less time organizing this year! Happy to have you!

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm in!

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

YEAH! :)

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Candi, will you be doing this all summer? I'm thinking I'ld like to join but not sure about June yet as my weather is just horrid..... Rain/snow for more than a month now (again, 8" on Mother's Day). They are predicting another 10 days of rain, and June might just continue the trend........(Last 21 days---20 had precept)(Actually the trend began in late April so the streak is longer). Will I ever get those pesky weeds pulled? Most of the Iris blooms just froze and turned to mush, darn! LOL. But I'ld love to get back into trading. I have a couple of spring trades to finish if I can ever get to digging. But am hoping things begin to dry a bit and growing commences....... So I'm in for 1 trade since I have a whole month for the weather to begin to cooperate (fingers are crossed)

Also have a major nursery closing this summer (sooooooo many unusual perenns there), and their sales should begin mid summer-ish. Will be looking for bargains to share (maybe?) This guy is a plant explorer and breeder and some new perenns on the market which I hope to pick up.......(one is a new (true)red Salvia that is 36' and an all summer bloomer).

I got soo many wonderful trades over the past few years, thankyou to all!!!!!!! Hoping to get pix of my new garden in the backyard if I ever see the sun...... (also plan on revamping the front border this summer and will have many plants to share. Kathy

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Candi, will you be doing this all summer? I'm thinking I'ld like to join but not sure about June yet as my weather is just horrid..... Rain/snow for more than a month now (again, 8" on Mother's Day). They are predicting another 10 days of rain, and June might just continue the trend........(Last 21 days---20 had precept)(Actually the trend began in late April so the streak is longer). Will I ever get those pesky weeds pulled? Most of the Iris blooms just froze and turned to mush, darn! LOL. But I'ld love to get back into trading. I have a couple of spring trades to finish if I can ever get to digging. But am hoping things begin to dry a bit and growing commences....... So I'm in for 1 trade since I have a whole month for the weather to begin to cooperate (fingers are crossed)

Also have a major nursery closing this summer (sooooooo many unusual perenns there), and their sales should begin mid summer-ish. Will be looking for bargains to share (maybe?) This guy is a plant explorer and breeder and some new perenns on the market which I hope to pick up.......(one is a new (true)red Salvia that is 36' and an all summer bloomer).

I got soo many wonderful trades over the past few years, thankyou to all!!!!!!! Hoping to get pix of my new garden in the backyard if I ever see the sun...... (also plan on revamping the front border this summer and will have many plants to share. Kathy

HI KATHY : Good to see the floods & snow have not carried you away :) missed ya . say you said salvia 36 ' did you mean 3-6'? I would like one of those be happy to send money for one JLMK.

My trailer is about emptied of Plants i need to go dig up more tonight to restock for my plant swap i have sold more plants then anything in my sale the last 2 days.

well gotta go u all have a safe & fun Holiday weekend .

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Kathy - good to hear from you! I am a bit jealous of all your water....we've had NONE -- I've actually had to water my gardens in May which I never need to do! We are so behind on our rain. And to think not too many years ago....you all were in a "no rain" pattern! Stinks that it's been so cold still too! I sent you a dmail - one of your baby iris plants you sent was my first bloomer this year....I love trading too! I have so many great things from all of you over the last few years! I'll be doing one for July and August....and Sept I hope!

I just went to my friends plant sale....spent way too much money but got alot of great new plants....mayapple is one I've been looking for! I forget the names of the others right now....but they are all marked and ready to be planted this weekend. Some were very unique -- so I'm excited that you might be getting more from the closing nursery! Fun for you and hopefully for us!

I'll put you down for one trade this upcoming month and let's hope the rains stop for you and come to NH! XO

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Just want to watch for now, but I want in on the fun. ;)

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Susie, it's 36", sorry about that.

I've lost track of how much rain I've actually gotten here, but it's been plenty.....(3,4 maybe 5" in the past month. I know that's not much as some of you all get more than that, but here it's plenty..... Think I saw the sunshine for about 5 min. yesterday, then clouds and light rain. More today and on and on. Lol, they were saying we might see the sun on Tues. next week for 1 day then rain and maybe another day of sun on Thurs. But sure would like some warmer temps, now it's only 38* at 9am. Most of the month has been in the 40-50* range. Not that great for gardening yet.

That nursery sells qrt sized pots, reg price is about $6,95-8.95 ish. So will keep you all informed when the sales begin. Their web address is Timberlinegardens.com (or close to it) and located in Arvada, Co. if anyone wants to check out there list of plants. and when sales might begin. I'm about 50-ish miles away. Not sure if they will have any of that red Salvia remaining for the sale so I will pick up a few as soon as I can plan a trip get there. Also am hoping to pick up more of the Aster 'Lady in Black', (pretty, pretty, pretty!) But lots of unusuals, so check 'em out.

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Red salvia...love that plant! So beautiful! I'll check out the website!

Amanda....just say the word and you're in! XO If not for June -- maybe July or August!

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

We're putting our NY home up for sale and I am offering my plants for postage, and in some cases would like fostering for a few years then starts to be sent to the WKBG in Owensboro KY. The Botanical gardens are not in a position to accept all of my collections at once, so this is the best idea I could come up with.

I have three Standard dwarf irises, Noid white, Candy Apple, Cinderella Sunshine, to also be included in this group is an Intermediate Space Cadet, and Albicans. This is a postage only, no fostering on these.

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy
Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

I anyone would have shade plants would like to just do a box for postage. I am trying to fill in around the trees in my wooded area. Kathy

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Hi Kathy....
Are you looking for anything in particular for your shade garden?
I have tons of lily of the valley that always fill in nicely around trees....
I have liguleria - a great shade plant with beautiful reddish heart shaped leaves.....
I also have some baby coral bells....
If you want those plants - let me know I'd be delighted to share with you!

Mittsy -
Moving....wow! You must be very sad to leave your plants! I'm happy to foster too....
I'd love a box from you....all the flowers you sent me in trade are doing well this year!

Below is an iris I got from DJ last year!

Thumbnail by AliKat32
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Ya, the weatherman was wrong, (again), more rain tonight........... Was hoping for a day without any, nope..... But I did manage to get most of the day to pull weeds and clear off some of last years growth... At least over night temps are getting more into the low 40's, and daytime temps are still 10-15* below avg.. (45/74*). Will I ever get to plant my tomatoes? LOL.

Mittsy, sending you a d-mail...

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Alikat & WWKathy, I'll divide up the above posted iris group and share between the two of you. I'll write the name on the foliage with marker.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi Ali. I'm thinking about this one. I'll have to see how DH is doing around that time. If not, I'll try to join one later in the year.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Ali, those plants would be great, I am slowly filling up the wooded area a little every year. I added some new hostas. And a couple of cinnamon ferns that I got from a co-worker this spring. Just let me know where to send the postage. Thanks, Kathy

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Mittsy - thank you....
Kat - sent you a dmail....

Carole - totally would love to have you.....whenever and as often as you can....always oping that your DH is doing ok! xo

WWK -- rain....we actually got some rain today! It was so awesome....we are so dry here...the rain only last about 15min....but RAIN....real rain! Wish you could send me some of your rain!

XO

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

AliKat, so glad you got some rain. We were getting really dry too, but finally got some rain 3 nights in a row and chances of severe weather for the next 5 days. So the rain could come, with a price here, hopefully it won't amount to much, but this time of year you never know. It seems to rain in the afternoon or evening just when I am getting home from work, so not a lot of gardening getting done this week, yet. Oh well, my plants are happy and the weeds are having a ball! Have a great day everyone!

Carole I hope you can join us!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Annette, I hope to. I'll just have to see.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Lol, ya, rain will be less over the next few days....more Wed. and Thurs of next week... My grass is over 24" tall and have spent several days trying to weed wack it.....still not done (rechargeable battery only allows me to do 30-40 min. (X 2) run)s. Which is actually long enough as it's tiring..lol.

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

UGH Kathy.....
Maybe you can sell it as hay and get paid for all your hard work!
Sending you muscles and strength! XO

have to get you a couple goats get a portable fence & then you can do sections at a time :)

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

HAHA....that's an excellent idea...can we ship goats to CO???? Regional Rate? Brilliant....that's why you're the Queen!

That grass is definitely out of control, lol. When it gets that tall here we use the bush hog to mow it. But it never gets that tall in the yard ,because there is a man around here that is OCD about the grass. He will mow it in the rain before he let's it get too tall. My mom jokes and calls this place DHs "Park", but he has a big ol' John Deere and a bat-wing finish mower and two zero turn mowers, to keep it looking spiffy and he really enjoys mowing. some men play golf, some fish, he mows. lol

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

That's a good compulsion to have, IMHO. :)

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Hi Everyone!

SWAP partners: We each send to each other....please contact your partner and work out the details of your swap.

WWK - Iowhen
Alikat - Nanny
DJ9 - Alikat

All boxes need to be sent out by June 27....priority....
Please make sure you label your plants and package them carefully for shipping.

We'll post our beautiful boxes of plants that we receive here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1396504/

Come over and join me for chats on that thread now...

Candi

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Sorry all. I will not be able to do this swap. Broke my shoulder last week. No digging for a while.

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Oh no iowhen!! I wish I could help you out in the gardens!!
Here's to a speedy recovery and quick healing!!
Hugs!!

Iowhen, so sorry to hear you broke your shoulder. I guess that is a gardener's nightmare not to be able to get out there and play amongst the flowers. Hope you have a quick recovery!

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

It is a nightmare! One-handed weeding is pathetically slow. LOL As is one-handed typing.

I know exactly what you mean! 3 years ago I severed three tendons in my left hand and could not use it for months, even though I am right handed, it was impossible to do a lot of tasks with only one hand.

This message was edited Jun 1, 2015 5:29 PM

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh No......sorry to hear of your mishap.....hope your better soon. Hugs!!!!!

Ali, got someone else for me to send to? If not I can wait til next month.....

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Kathy - DJ would love to trade with you....she sent you a dmail.....
You both have amazing plants to trade! I want to get boxes from all of you....hope we can trade again in July.....

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Just watching this one.

I've been away for a while. I decided to go back to school full time plus work. I'm recovering from pneumonia and still not back in the garden.

Missed ya shorty good to have ya back even if it is part time .

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Shorty.....welcome back....how's school going??? Are you feeling better??

Hey everyone -- I've started chatting over on the other thread....http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1396504/ come join me so I don't just talk to myself!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.