Invasive plant pasture

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Can some one id this tall weed. Looks somewhat like poison hemlock.About 4 foot tall and has not bloomed.

Thumbnail by TARogers5 Thumbnail by TARogers5 Thumbnail by TARogers5 Thumbnail by TARogers5 Thumbnail by TARogers5
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Cannot give you an ID, but can assure you it is not poison hemlock.

Greenup, IL(Zone 5b)

Here in iIllinois this plant is identified as poison hemlock. It grows along the rail roads ,ditch banks ,fence rows and in pastures.It is poison to livestock if they consume enough at one time. Crossbow will control it.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Poison Hemlock has white flowers, not yellow
Purple spots on stems
Foliage more divided

(Zone 5a)

Did you ever find the identification, TARogers5?

Based on time of year, it is not Wild Parsnip, the leaves are wrong. And it is not Golden Alexanders, again wrong leaves. I'll try to research this more.

(Zone 5a)

I forgot about this, BUT I think I have an idea. I wouldn't consider it a weed and one I would welcome in my pasture. :)
Polytaenia nuttallii (Prairie Parsley)
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/85824

I hope you left it if you have cattle, it's non-toxic.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

This thread is a good example of why collecting a specimen and taking it somewhere for clear photos is a GREAT idea.

One could cut a whole plant off, take it home and lay it on a table or sidewalk (or even the bed of a pickup). There, one can get clear shots of the whole plant, whole leaves, flowers, pith (cut off cross-section), and anything else.

That is really all that was missing from this thread - some really clear pictures of enough parts of the plant to make a positive ID.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.