Canning Green Beans

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

I did my first picking of my green beans last week. This year, instead of freezing them, I thought I'd give canning a try. Following the instructions in the Ball Complete Book, I washed & snapped the beans, boiled the beans for 5 minutes, packed them in quart jars, and pressure canned them for 25 minutes at 10 lbs. I was so looking forward to using this method. Well, I opened a jar last night, and the beans were like mush. Much, much softer than the ones you buy in the cans. I guess I like my veggies a little more crisp-tender. DH though they tasted just fine, but I really can't eat them this way.

Is this normal for canned green beans to turn out so very soft? If it is, I guess I'll have to go back to freezing them.

Jo-Ann

This thread has 31 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!