CLOSED: 2015 Mug Swap!!!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Greetings Muglee Friends:

It's THAT time again!!!

Now in our fifth year, this trade has come to be known as the "Uglee Mug Swap." This swap grew out of my boredom with the ugly mugs lining my cupboard.

Every morning I pull out a mug, and it sets the tone for the day. My current favorite mug is one I bought myself at Barnes and Noble which says "Do more of what makes you happy."

I am a coffee drinker, by and large, though I dabble occasionally in the herbal teas. Some folks drink their soup/broth from their mug, some hot cocoa, others their hot toddy. Which one are YOU? Chime in and share what happens when YOU get to the bottom of your cup.

Like some other group trades, you will receive a Dmail from me with the identity of your secret mug trading partner. I recommend not revealing your superman/woman identity on DG but rather wait until your partner learns your Gawd-Awfulness when they open the magical box that arrives by Priority Mail. On this thread you can share your likes and dislikes so your Secret Swapper (SS) might better get to know YOUR special elixir preferences, favorite color, caffeine or not, flavored or not, etc. Please send me and only me the delivery confirmation code when you ship priority mail so we can keep track of packages.

This is only a mug trade, but feel free to include items that might accompany a morning cup of ____________. The mug you send to your SS does not have to be ugly! It's only a figure of speech as in, "Show us your ugly mug."

Kindly send me a Dmail to confirm that you're "IN" with full name, email, address, and phone number, and let the *swipping* begin!

RESERVED FOR PARTICIPANTS:

Alicat32
Joeswife
Katgroves
Nanny23
Amandaesq
Taters55
NF2932
Froggiesgirl
CheerMom
Jsxtiger

This message was edited Jun 11, 2015 1:29 PM

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Ocean Springs, MS

Count me in! The mug I use right now is a thermal mug that keeps the coffee hot and it is never EMPTY! I love dark roast coffee (Folgers Black Silk in bags or K-cups) or Marley "one love" k-cups! Not a tea drinker. I only drink regular coffee mate liquid or half and half... no sugar! Used to have a coffee grinder and loved it! Love my coffee! ♥

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Haha! Julie, do you still have the Dr. Pepper mug I sent you?

I think that was our first year. :)

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Count me in also

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

me please..

(jax) Dundalk, MD(Zone 7a)

...........uh..i never git ta the bottom of me cup! or maybe i jist dont see the bottom cuz of sumthin in me eye!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I'm in I'll send you my info!

Sue G
CheerMom

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Good morning everyone! I'm off to make some coffee. Ashamed to say I found the most delightful iced coconut donuts yesterday, and I ate them ALL! Okay, they were in a case at the grocery store and they only had three three so...

It's been a long time since I ate donuts regularly, but they remind me of my Nana. She used to bake all those things. :)

She is also responsible for my coffee addiction. When I was a kid, we'd turn off the tv after programming and the news. We'd sit in the dim light in the kitchen...and I would boil water for her Folger's instant. I would pour the water from this little porcelain pot into her tiny coffee cup, and she would let it spill over into the saucer so she could pour it back and forth from cup to saucer to make it cool enough to drink.

She used Cremora, pretty sure. And a piece of buttered toast to take her nightly meds.

Now, I pour milk into my coffee to the brim. People laugh because it often comes close enough (and sometimes does) to spill over. Pretty sure that's a throwback to Nana.

So time to start that morning ritual. Except now I use a machine to make my single cup of automatic drip coffee. It's not a Keurig, I don't like the idea of so much packaging waste. Just a Black and Decker with a built in filter designed for a small travel mug.

So my coffee cups tend to be the taller kind. When I don't have a tall mug, I have a perfectly round stone I put on the platform under the cup to raise the rim so the coffee doesnt splash over the edge. :D

Going to start mine now.

Do you have nostalgia attached to your morning beverage ritual?

Please share as we learn more about each other's mug collections and preferences.

Thanks! :)

A.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Amanda,
My Dad does the cup and saucer thing also They both belonged to my great grandma. Love my coffee in the morning especially at 4:30 when I need that kick for work. When I am just relaxing I like the heabel teas for that

Trying to rain here this morning so watching out my window and drinking my coffee

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Add my name, please.

I like to start my day sitting at my desk looking out the window at the woods behind us and observing wildlife activity ... drinking a cup of coffee, of course.

I prefer decaf but regular is fine. I have a Mr. Coffee drip coffee maker.

14 or 15 oz. mugs are about right for me. Don't care for the ginormous ones. Also don't like flavored coffees. I take mine black.

I like cats, owls, dragonflies, butterflies, flowers, mid-century modern design. The color green is my favorite. Also like neutrals and black. Organic designs are nice. :)

My current favorite mug came from Walmart and cost all of about $3. Actually, this is it.

This message was edited May 16, 2015 1:48 PM

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I always have a favorite coffee cup I use (if it's clean LOL). Two of my favorites were my Mother's who died 25 years ago. Eventually I managed to break both of them (I swear the last one managed to jump off the counter and onto the floor I think it was my mother telling me to get on with my life). I still have a few of her things and they are very important to me although so out of date.

Anyway, I have to have my coffee in the morning to "wake up". One to three cups and I'm good for the day. Nothing fancy for me just Folger's instant with milk. Tried other instants but we only do the Folger's. I too, fill up to the brim and overflow with the milk. Don't know why we do that haha.

I like a bit larger than normal mug just a little bit bigger. And I like ones with historic scenes or old fashioned stuff. I think I long for my 50's childhood haha.

Sue G

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Hi Amanda and Everyone....
I love love love the muglee swap....count me in! I'll send a dmail with info!

Oh - I just love tea....black tea is my favorite.....but I love any type tea.
One of my best memories around tea is sharing a cup each morning with my mom...she can drink tea all day long but the morning cup was just us and we'd often sit at the kitchen table and talk before my brothers woke it....it was a nice quite time each morning!

Carole - I love that your favorite color is green....it's perfect for a gardener.....!! I love blue...a nice deep rich blue! I'm always looking for true blue flowers....mostly I get purple tho!

I'm into photo mugs - I've got three of them now....the nice tall ones....I love looking at my cats and my cute little pup! My nieces made me one for Auntie's day last year....so cute! I made one for my dog walker...she loved it! Mugs mugs mugs...love them!

Candi

My first cup of coffee is usually at work, I go to the service isle first to see if their Folgers is available, if not, I go across the lot to the express service to see if their "coffee-time" is available, and last resort is Starbucks machine right outside my office. ( Many selections to choose from for free!) I like full flavored Folgers the best, but StarBucks mocha-chino is pretty good in winter. My favorite cup right now is one from last muglee swap, I usually change them out about every other month. I like flowers on cups the best, about 10oz. the larger ones usually get put to use by putting a small potted plant in it during winter time in my office or at home on the ledge, or I use them in winter for soups and stews, so microwaveable is the best for me.
On Sunday mornings if I am up early enough ( before lunch) I like to sit out on the patio and watch the birds and critters and my gardens, with a cup of mr donut coffee that Joanna has made me, (she makes it way too strong) and I end up zipping around the rest of the day. Joe thinks mr donut coffee is my favorite and since he buys it ,I don't say different.
We have a 4 cup drip mr coffee at home, no one else drinks coffee. I do drink chamomile teas and others herbals teas at night, usually from 10 pm to about midnight. Used to love earl grey teas, but now they upset my tummy, so plz no earl grays,.

Ocean Springs, MS

I remember being allowed to drink coffee at an early age. We would go to my grandmother's house every Sunday and she would make jelly cake or biscuits for us. We were allowed to drink a little coffee (with milk and sugar) with our treat. My grandmother used an aluminum coffee pot with the muslin filter that was heated on the stove. She never owned an automatic maker.
My parents drank coffee with chicory in it... some strong stuff! One of my favorite memories of my dad is him giving coffee to my first child when she was only 5 days old! He'd dip his peanut butter sandwich in the coffee and let her suck it! I almost flipped, but his response was "It never hurt y'all!" So, that was that and he kept doing it! LOL
I like my coffee with lots of cream...no sugar! When Daddy and I would drink coffee together, he'd always make a comment about how he couldn't understand how I could drink it with no sugar. Then I would tell him, "Well. I don't know how you can drink that sugar with just a little coffee in it!" He filled that cup with so much sugar that there was always 'syrup" left in the bottom of the cup! :) If i could drink one more cup of coffee with him, I'd put sugar in it just to hear what he'd say! ♥

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

See? It's no wonder to me there's comfort in the cup with all these treasured memories. Lets hear some more!

I have some melancholy memories o coffee mugs, particularly travel mugs, that stayed by my side for years, only to be left behind at a gas station i some other unforgivable forgotten place. Wah. Sniff.

Ocean Springs, MS

Amanda, i do still have the Dr. Pepper mug! Still use it occasionally. I had a mug that I always carried when Daddy and I traveled for his cancer treatments. Even after he passed, i took it with me everywhere. Then one day I was in a hurry to leave work, trying to get the kids in the car, and I accidentally left it on the top of my car. When I lost it, I felt like I had lost a piece of Daddy all over again.

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Froggy....I'm sad for you! Sending virtual hugs....and happy to hear you woke up almost pain free today! I forgot to post that on Queen Susie's thread! :)

It was a sad day when I broke my favorite cat mug -- it was of a big fat grey kitty with a saying "I'm not fat-- I'm fluffy" And since that mug looked exactly like my smokey bear kitty....it was a crying day when it broke since I had lost him the year before. :(

I think a group hug is in order here {{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Right. Bad enough to break it ... but it was a CAT mug. :(

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}} back.....thanks! I feel better!

Ocean Springs, MS

Aw! ((((((( HUGS )))))))) to all of you! ♥

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

I think that everyone could use a HUG My day was a typical MONDAY

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Kat...that stinks....wish our weeks were filled with Fridays! Wouldn't that be great! We need a mug with that on it...."Hope all your days are as fun as Friday!" {{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}} that will make it better!

here here and agreed! As I told my daughters, Monday only lasts a day . we are all three in the retail / public business..
great idea for a mug, AliKat32 :)

Thumbnail by joeswife
Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

I would love a mug like that as I am of on Friday's. LOL

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

That was supposed to say off, to early in the morning to try to type.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

:)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Woe, only had two cups today. I guess that's.why it feels like it's ending on a sour not. Bet I'll sleep like a stone, though! Can never tell if a cup of comfort at nine is going to keep me awake till three.

Here comes hump day. Have a grrrrreat Wednesday!

Xoxoxo
A.

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

LOVE hump day....I had three cups of hot tea followed by 2 tall glasses of iced tea....I'm not going to bed anytime soon! GO GO GO!

Ocean Springs, MS

So sorry your favorite beverages keep some of you awake. I actually take a cup of coffee to bed with me! My kids joke that my blood is 99% coffee! LOL

Looking forward to Friday myself. I have pottery classes on Friday! :)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I had today off so it sort of feels like Friday. :)

Made good progress with weeds today in my front yard flower bed. I'm pleased with that, though there's plenty more crabgrass where that came from. Sigh.

About night time caffeine, it's a crap shoot. I figure if I have to be somewhere the next day I'd better not push my luck, but OH! the comfort of a cup of hot coffee before I lay me down. Julie, I envy you that. ;)

me too, I'd be up all night since I am up all night most of the time anyway, so I drink chamomile and sleepy time just to get me to normal hours ( in bed by 1)
Tomorrow is my Friday! and it will be the nicest day of the whole week... can't wait!
mug swap 2012, someone got the one with flowers I made with my own flower pics, and the other one is one that got broke and it was cool as heck..2nd pic 2014 swap.. love those mugs ate all the stuff, used the napkins LOL I must have missed 2013 or, I didn't tag the photos "swap"

This message was edited May 20, 2015 8:34 PM

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Debra....I need that bee mug....its awesome! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT.....maybe you can lend it to me for a year or two!??? I have no idea where my swap pictures are....I'm going to have to start a folder so I can remember the years!

I agree with Amanda....sometimes my love of tea keeps me up...sometimes it doesn't.....I don't chance it if I've got to get a good nights sleep....and I envy being able to go to bed with my favorite beverage.....

This message was edited May 20, 2015 11:22 PM

Ocean Springs, MS

Little goodies are great with the mug! I like dark chocolate. I also like cappucino mix in the winter! Love granola and trail mix.

Does anyone flavor their beverages with honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, etc? just wondering!

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

The only tea I attempt to drink at night is chamomile as it helps put me to sleep. But I drink others when I am not heading to bed.

I found a really cute mug today. Actually, my DIL to be is the one to show it to me.

Julie, I also love dark chocolate, heck all kinds of chocolate, that is something that I got from my Dad.

Everyone have a great Friday, I am off and hope to get lots done outside. I do need t mow the front yard before my son decides to do it and mows down the flowers.

Kathy

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Oh yum....dark, light, white choc - it's all good! My favorite is raspberries with choc....delicious!

I don't flavor my beverages....but I do love cardamom - I just had the best vegan hot choc made with caradamom.....yum!

Happy Friday everyone!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Mmm, sounds yummy. I do still love my blueberry cobbler coffee from New England coffee, but I've been drinking chock full o nuts lately to save moola. It's a good cup of coffee. It got me thru law school! :)

Debra, last year's box was from me. :)
Forgot how It hurt me to send you that bee mug. Ha!!! The dark stoneware mug I picked special for you on ebay. Funny because I found th bee mug totally unplanned.

Looking forward to tomorrow, a day off my feet, but plenty of busy work to do. I hope everyone enjoys their weekend. Th weather looks to be as near perfect as it could possibly be!!!

xox
A.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I love dark chocolate too, the darker the better. Don't do anything with flavored coffees though I do like green tea.

Sue G

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

A - chock full of nuts - a great coffee....for less moola! And now we know it has powers to propel one thru a law degree..... WAY too much work....I can't even imagine the hours you spent studying! Lots of cuppa's!

It's getting down to 35 tonight....brrr...that morning cup is going to be so delightful!

XO

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Enjoying my cuppa! Hope you are enjoying yours. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.