How Can I Sooth My Cat's Eyes?

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Our twelve-year-old Siamese kitty Elliott has intermittant problems with a feline herpes virus. It causes him respiratory problems like wheezing and sneezing and makes his eyes gooby. The vet prescribed eyedrops once, but they are very expensive and (by his own admisiion) don't really cure anything - and you have to put them in FIVE times a day. YOU try catching a cat FIVE times a day to put in drops! Though I must say Elliott seemed to know I was helping and didn't fight me too much once I actually got a hold of him each time...Sigh.

What can I wash/irrigate his eyes with to sooth them? The corneas are scratched from the repeated bouts with this stuff, and they hurt the poor fella. I hate seeing him squinty - I know that have to bother him. :o(

This thread has 7 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!