Coral bells

Herndon, VA(Zone 7a)

Something's wrong with my coral bells. The plant has suddenly become very droopy. I have other varieties in my yard that are doing well. I have watered it, and there doesn't seem to be any insects on it. Can anyone help me ?

Thumbnail by cindyloohoo57
Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

Test how wet the soil is deeper into the area where the roots are. If you just planted it this spring then the roots have not spread much farther than whatever container they were in when you bought it.
To test: Start with a freshly sharpened pencil. Poke it in to about the middle of what used to be the container, where the roots are. If the wood gets dark it is wet. If it is blotchy then the area is drying out, or has large air pockets, if the wood comes out clean or a little dusty it is way too dry.

If the root zone is too wet, then root rot could be the problem.

If the root zone is too dry the plant can come back. I would build a berm around the plant to hold the water until it soaks in.

Ayrshire Scotland, United Kingdom

I agree with Diana, the ground around the root area is too dry OR something has attacked the roots and this has prevented the roots taking up any water, you will know yourself how much water you give and afterwards, stick your fingers down into the root area to see IF water is getting down far enough.
I sometimes stick an empty plastic juice container down into the soil, rmove the bottom of the container and the cap, dig a hole to insert the container and leave about 2 inches of the plastic (BOTTOM END UP) fill the container up a few times, this will help water reach the roots and moisten the soil further down too. IF needed, you can also add liquid feed this way, DONT feed the plant just now as distressed plants are best fed AFTER they have recovered.

Hope this helps you out a little and the plant soon recovers.
Kindest Regards.
WeeNel.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.