Plumeria Spacing

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

For those of you that have lots of Plumerias, how close can you plant them together?

I have three in the yard and several more in pots that I want to stick in the ground. I was thinking of trying to put 2 growing close enough, with the hope of them eventually looking like it is all one plant. My available plating space is running low. Two of them in the ground are well over 6 ft tall and the third one is only 3-4 ft. tall.

I have seen some web site that say they need to be at least 10 ft. apart; while I have seen other landscaping designs that has them 1 ft. -2 ft. apart.

Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.

Shauna

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

ideally, it would help if you knew the size of the plumeria tree canopy at maturity. With that info, then you could space them taking future size into account. If you plant them where they're too close, blooming might suffer b/c of not enough air circulation.

BUT, since plumerias don't necessarily grow to their full potential in our climate (not as big as in Hawaii or Thailand) it is a guess what the canopy size will truly be at maturity. So.....if I were you, I would plant them 2-3 ft apart and keep and eye on whether canopies become too close. If they do, it is not hard to uproot a plumie and create more space.

The other thing is that it appears that you have diff. cultivars so it's not like ALL will grow to the exact same height, so it will be a while before canopies become too crowded.

I am jealous of you as I must grow in containers and overwinter. I would love to be able to grow inground.

Bradenton, FL(Zone 9a)

Freezing temperatures will kill them that you get every few years in Tampa.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Most of them that I have were given as cuttings, so I have no real idea on the exact variety and how big they can actually get.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

No biggie that you don't know size at maturity but if freezes do kill plumies in Tampa, I wonder if planting in ground is wise. I've had 4" dia. Trunk plumies that died in a freeze--I was so sure they were strong/big enough to withstand cold. Smaller plants, I seriously doubt it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.