What's This Unidentified Woodie?

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

I have a lot of fun letting nature grow her own stuff in my garden. I nurture and watch the leaf formations, I marvel about the differences or sameness of each and then I come here to ask for identification before it gets too big.

After identification is made, I decide on a suitable home for it. Sometimes they can stay in my garden, sometimes they need a bigger garden elsewhere. Either way, I get the pleasure to watch it for a time.

Thanks in advance to the fabulous aficionados who will undoubtedly make this cycle complete (without whom there would be no cycle).

Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

From here (and without benefit of seeing the whole plant) that looks an awful lot like Privet (Ligustrum sp.).

It's too dark to take an overall shot VV, but I did capture this new clue this afternoon. As the leaves emerged, it reminded me of Baptisia sp. but it could be Ligustrum. Thanks for your help.

Thumbnail by Mipii

Well, Baptisia sp. are all perennials around here, and that appears to be a woody plant.

Your latest image (on my new spiffily updated browser conditions) looks spot on to be some sort of Lonicera sp.

Them ain't no Privet flower buds...

Perhaps a Twinberry, Lonicera involucrata. Just have to wait and see if her berries are black. I just had a new spiffily updated router and modem and get you more images for you SUBC, lol!

Nope, not L. involucrata (no bracts) but definitely Lonicera sp., just like you said. Do you recognize this UGO (Unidentified Growing Object)? I potted it up last fall and still can't figure it out.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

No comment to the plant but nice choice of words for the subject line ;-)

Lol Sequoia, I was hoping it 'wood' be an attention grabber, I need so much help. What if I rip out something exotic, rare or expensive? Yah, like that's going to get planted in my yard willy nilly...

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

True, you can never be too careful. Make sure you use protection if you remove it ;-P

I only use protection when it has leaves of three...; ) Geesh.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha, nice!

Have you ever seen that 'Shoebox' card about how Adam used poison ivy as the 'fig' leaves to cover his stuff? God is talking with an angel wondering if they should tell him it was poison ivy or not....super funny!

I didn't see the card but that's hilarious (unless I'm Adam of course). Who thinks of these things?

Your latest one looks awfully like a Callery Pear seedling...

Nooo, say it ain't so!

Okay, the awful Callery Pear has to go. Do recognize this one? BTW, thanks so much for the help VV.

The leaf morphology and alternaticity of arrangement says Ribes sp. to me - but I don't see plants in that genus very often.

Yes...that's a keeper. I'll keep watching for species characteristics. Ribes love shade and I just happen to have some. Thanks VV, I'll capture a few more this weekend (in between my chores of course).

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I had to look that up. What a nice find!

Gooseberries and currants were two of my dad's favorite plants - from his youth in Wisconsin and from his early married years when the family lived near Pottstown, PA (the place of my birf).

Unfortunately, most of these plants prefer a well drained acid soils regime - and the wonderful central KY Bluegrass region offers circumneutral clay loams. The plants installed at Silver Hill (where I grew up in Nicholasville, KY) lasted for a few years and we got to learn what these tasted like before they expired.

Blackberries are the bush fruit of choice 'round here - unbearably prolific and carefree.

Ha, I had to look up circumneutral, which reminds me, I've got to get my soil analyzed. For those of us that aren't Landscape Engineers, circumneutral means nearly neutral PH.

I've been saving coffee grinds (boy I love my coffee, as a good coffee snob should) for the last couple of years and spreading it on my beds, in hopes it will acidify my soil (garden beds Sequioa, lol).

Although, nearly neutral sounds nearly perfect...yes?

Regarding the nice find, I expect to have more as the birds try and aim at my new feline housemates.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha...nice

I could be wrong but I thought that spent coffee grounds didn't do much to acidify soil. I am under the impression that the brewing process releases most of the acid in the coffee grounds. Anyone more experienced than I care to weigh in on that?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I agree, Seq

It makes sense, used coffee grinds are less acidic than unused, however used grinds can still produce a flavorful cup if coffee provided the water seeps through it at a slower pace. The grinds also condition clay soil and they don't readily break down.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, the compost effect of them is nice and whatever trace amounts of acid are also helpful.

Yes Sequoia...compost is good. Apparently, pond sludge is real good too (I read from another post), if you have a pond of course.

Here is another baffling woodie, it's leaves are like paddles. Please be a good one...

Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Mmmm....pond sludge. Sounds like a nice ice cream topping.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Ben and Jerry's doesn't have a Pond Sludge, yet

I think that's a Sycamore. Platanus.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

My BIL in Long Island dredged up a ton of pond sludge which he used as nutrient for his yard. A win-win for the pond and his garden.

That would be a diet ice cream topping, me thinks.

Platanus occidentals looks real close, I can feel "dendritic" hairs but the stems are not zigzag and the petiole bases are not right.

I found this on the Seed Germination forum;

Quote from Domehomedee :
Thanks for sharing all the good info on tomatoes. I'm an experienced extensive "landscape" gardener and I've been trying for years to get my daughters into vegetable gardening so I wouldn't have to do it. It's year three and we're getting the hang of it but could still use all the help we can get, LOL. My daughter (degree in chemistry) performed a "dirt" test using various additives ie, chicken poo, pond sludge, and cow manure. Hands down the dried pond sludge won. So clean your ponds and dry the sludge for your veges.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Nice and I just got a new phrase to describe myself when someone asks if I grow veggies: I'm an exclusive 'landscape' gardener.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.