What (&WHY???) varment messing w/ marigold seedlings??

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

At watering, I find dug holes (always on the shady side of the seedling/plants) next to the stems (so close, the leaves cover the edge of the holes). The holes are about 3 inches wide & deep. . the plant roots are not visible and the plant itself isn't affected (some plants that had holes about a week ago are flowering and growing.. . . unpreturbed).

Out of about 60-70 plants in 3 different locations (& 5 different varieties), every day I find holes next to 3-7 new, different plants (I fill holes daily). . . affected plants are randomly located but ALWAYS in my mixed powderpuff French marigold front garden (back garden and far corner of front garden -singlet French marigolds- are not affected).

I live in the middle of town; cats, dogs, squirrells and birds are the only wildlife. Of these, squirrells are rampant and they have the tiny paws to dig such small holes.

A few times, I've sprinkled black pepper around the few plants that I could reach from two edges: the attempt was futile since I couldn't reach most of them and near-daily showers washed away the pepper.

What's doing this?? Why?? How can I stop this??

TRULY vexed!!!

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

I do not know if it is the variety of marigold, or if that particular planter area is more attractive for some reason. Perhaps it is closer to an escape route? Sure sounds like squirrels.

Maybe put a net over the planter area. Seal the edges (perhaps bury them under a bit of soil).
This would exclude varmints that come via the air or land surface. If the holes still show up, and the netting is not disturbed, then something is doing this from under the soil. Voles? Gophers? (I would think either of these would eat something, not just tunnel nearby. Moles? (They almost never come up, though)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.