BirdFiles and Zip Codes

(Zone 5a)

Today, I was looking at the Bobolinks, not remembering if I put photos on that page. Yep, I did. I noticed I am the only one who put in an area for that bird, even though two others have photos. It could be they were not at home and possibly don't know the location. I take plenty of photos as we are on the road, and if I had to guess, I could only get as far as what county I am in.

Some common yard birds have a lot of zip codes, but other birds hardly any, even if there are photos. Only US zip codes can be used, so this hinders all those outside the states.

I think if people include their zips while adding photos or comments about birds, the BirdFiles can be a more useful tool. The zips do not have to be at home, but, "found in your area" If I am birding in the next county over, I consider that close enough to my area. I only know my own zip which is also the same as a hot spot I frequent, so I will search the name of the park/wildlife area and often can see it without even leaving the search page.

Just an idea. :)

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Chilly ~ I agree, but though I normally try to post location and date for everything I add to the databases (birds, plants, insects), I've had many occasions where my comments didn't post at all. Not wanting to bother to edit or contact admin., I've just left them with no comment.

This has happened even more recently.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.