FIRST FLOWERS MID MAY 2015

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Way past time for a new thread but I've been too busy to take pics to start a new one....Lol

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1391869/

A photo of our 'Blue Boy' rhodi
Viburnum plicatum 'summer snowflake'
'Ken Janeck' rhodi
Sophora davidii
'Kalinka' rhodi

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Salvia dorrii v. incana Robusta
Helianthemum 'Hartswood Ruby' (?)
Salvia
Saponaria (soapwart)
Bloomerang Lilac

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Viola 'Columbine' 
Golden Chain Tree
Gibraltar deciduous azalea
Current view of 'front yard garden'
Mardi Gras rhodi

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Awesome pictures Jeff! Your garden blows me away....

Now--I have to show you something I saw at my HD today. Even took a picture.

I am NOT familiar with the plant--but it looked cute--and the bloom were cute too.
It was on the ground Cover-Perennial table.

I almost wanted to buy one..WHY? I have NO idea. nor--where I would plant it.

Any comments on this little beauty? Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Sequoia, your front yard garden is gorgeous!

Gita, I haven't grown that plant, but from what I read about it, it might be a challenge to grow in our area: http://www.perennials.com/plants/lewisia-little-plum.html and http://www.thegardenhelper.com/lewisia.html

It is cute, though.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Lovely burst of colors, Seq!

Lewisia's one of those plants I've read about but never seen in person.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

SS--And--now you have...almost.

I just like to show you all interesting,unusual (to me) plants that
I see in my days and hours of watering all the plants at my HD.

Gita

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

N I C E seq!!

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Seq, WOW is the best word for your beautiful front garden!! That is a really wonderful mix of plants and textures.
Had to LOL at your "daily plant pyramid", that's just too funny. So, of course... I brought her home yesterday. As I've said in another thread, she was accompanied by her little friend the Old Fashioned Bleeding Heart. (among other little buddies)

Gita, that is a really cute little plant, but I have to admit, this is the first time I've ever heard of that one!

Thumbnail by speediebean
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jeff just beautiful, Your neighbors are lucky to have your lovely garden to look at.
Speedie, Pretty columbine.
Gita, I have a Lewisia, I just love them, although I haven't had the best luck with them. I did finally get one to grow for me.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Wow ditto, Jeff, Darcy can't begrudge you all the gardening time when this is the benefit!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks all!

Gita, does your 'Yuck' bed get any sun at all? If it got some afternoon sun, you might try that Lewisia in there. They do well in poor rocky soils. Yours may not be rocky but sub out the rock for roots and you're in.

Speedie, glad you brought the little guy home and you can never bring home just one, that's for sure!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jeff--

My YUK bed gets a god amount of sun and it is dry--due to the roots.
I do run the sprinkler there-sometimes close to an hour.

Not sure i want to blow $5 for one of the Lewesias?? It would not be worth it.
As long as I have lived here--I always wanted a rock garden. But--my small
yard is all level.

Here is a good look at my YUK bed...June, 2013

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Well then if it gets sun, spend the $5 on one. Treat yourself, you deserve it!

Frederick, MD

Angelonia... can't take credit for it, just picked it up at Lowe's but wanted to share anyway. :)

And not sure that that second plant is but it just bloomed and I think it's pretty cool too.

Thumbnail by CAMfromMD Thumbnail by CAMfromMD
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I like that first one. The second is a type of Centaurea.

Frederick, MD

Thanks, Jeff... always like to know what's growing in my beds, even if I didn't plant it. :)

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Sure thing!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

What a fabulous group of plants, Sequoia. Must be hard to tear yourself away and go to work! Nice to see all that hard work of planting and watering paying off so well. Love the photos.

Compare to Centaurea montana

Seq, I LOVE your light pink rhodies. I don't know how I ended up with such hot colors in my yard, even though I really love pastels.

How do you like your soapwort? That's another plant I've only read about online.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

We have a pile of the "Centaurea" (says "Bluet" on the tag) for sale at HD.
It looks like a bigger, fancier Corn Flower.

But--no one is buying it--as it always has a "wilted" look. No matter how much
I water it. The leaves and weak stems just will not stand erect.

I am not sure if it is a normal feature of this plant--or if it is something else.

"Bell" is not happy with it--and they have contacted the grower with this
problem. Maybe they are trying to get credit for them all? I don't blame them.

G.

First peony of the season.

Only one of the many Schubertii alliums returned this year.

Ninebark.

Columbines.

Peony with white allium and Lupines.

Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener

ID help needed!

Neighbor's shrub. Is this a weigela?

Seedling in the shade. What could this be?

Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Gita, check those pots of Centaurea to see if they are rootbound... it hates that. I've picked up some clearance ones that perked right up once planted out so they could stretch their roots.

Joyanna and I picked up 2 Lewisias spring of 2013 because we loved the blooms. Read about them and potted them in SSG's special mix in hypertufa pots. They both overwintered and rebloomed in 2014, but last winter we lost one... the other is still doing well, though, and she picked out another one at Southern States recently.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

SSG, I was just checking on a climbing hydrangea with leaves that (to my memory anyway) were very similar to your mystery "seedling." this plant has been slow to establish for me, has that seedling/starter plant look for several years LOL

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

SSG - if you are asking about the dark-leaved plant in your last post, I believe it is Thalictruim ichangense 'Evening Star' that I provided in spring of last year.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99

wow ssg!
yes weigela

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

My Centaurea Montana from last year's swap, it's doing pretty good.

Thumbnail by Catbird423
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill--

I am not going to inspect the roots on the centaura. They belong to "Bell"
and they can do what they want with them....probably--toss them all....

Actually--I think they are already gone! G.

Thalictrum, of course! I have a couple of other thalictrum, which are big and getting ready to bloom. I was confused about which ones were from the swap.

I wonder why this one is so slow to come up. It bloomed pretty much non-stop all last year.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I love that last photo of yours SSG, it looks great with all the different things and that white allium is very pretty! I do like my soapwart. I have three, two of which make up what you saw in that pic. Those ones were planted wisely, the other was not. They hold up well in full punishing sun.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

David, I also got a Thalictruim ichangense 'Evening Star' from you last year. It bloomed for a long period of time. A pretty little plant! It didn't come back this year. Maybe the winter was just too cold. Or did I weed it as I have done with several other plants that I had not bothered to tag? Hmmm... :-(

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Donner - You should go back and check, ours just emerged in the last week or so, and SSG's is just emerging too.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, David. My garden looks like it is in a new season each week when I get back. I will take a closer look this weekend. It was a pretty little plant, very elegant, and I liked it. Will keep you posted.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I got three of the thalictrum 'Evening Star' in the bunch from David last year. Two started emerging a few weeks ago, but the third just emerged last week. I was thrilled with how long they bloomed last year. When I went to the Virginia State arboretum sale last Sunday, I saw John (the vendor who David got them from), and picked up five more. Love that plant. John was one of David's guests that was at our swap last spring. Great guy, nice plants!

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

The Helianthemum 'Hartswood Ruby' is very pretty, Jeff. I like that shade of red.

SSG, is the Ninebark blooming already? Lovely! I got a little rooted cutting from Sally in the fall of 2013. Got eaten back by deer last year - it was only several inches tall. You wouldn't think it could go further "back" :-). Anyway, it is about 15" now, looking like a rightful little shrub :o). No flowers yet.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Some photos I took last weekend.

1. Brunnera macrophylla 'Variegata'
2. Bleeding Heart 'Gold Heart'
3. Viburnum opulus 'Roseum'
4. Bleeding Heart 'Valentine'
5.Thermopsis montana (False Lupine)

Thumbnail by donnerville Thumbnail by donnerville Thumbnail by donnerville Thumbnail by donnerville Thumbnail by donnerville
Frederick, MD

Beautiful, Donner. And you have a real eye for photography ! Especially love the bleeding heart pics... gorgeous.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

1. Primrose
2. Woodland Phlox -- from Aspenhill
3. Geum ‘Mrs J. Bradshaw’
4. Columbine -- Given away at the swap last Saturday. Not mine any more.
5. Carolina Spiceshrub -- from Sally

Thumbnail by donnerville Thumbnail by donnerville Thumbnail by donnerville Thumbnail by donnerville Thumbnail by donnerville

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.