Cracks & lesions on pear and apple bark newly planted trees

Colchester, VT(Zone 4b)

I've planted 3 pear and 3 apple trees over the past few weeks (bought at a nursery in pots) - there are some cracks and lesions, especially on the pear trees. The apple trees seem to be faring better in general but they have some rubs, like the bark was nibbled on by some animal (or perhaps rubbing against other trees at the nursery) - an example of this can be seen in the last photo.

We've had some warm weather lately and just got a heavy rain yesterday and the lesions on the pear trees seem more apparent now. Does anyone know what these lesions might be? As far as I can tell, there is no oozing from the lesions (yet), so I'm hoping it's not fireblight. I pruned away the worst branches after planting, but I'm worried that if I try to prune away everything with a lesion on it, I'll be left with only weird stubs of trees.

For reference, I'm located in Vermont and the pear varieties are Luscious, Ure, and Summercrisp (semi-dwarfs) and the apples are Liberty, Honeycrisp, and Macintosh (semi-dwarfs, I believe on M-7 rootstock)

Any disease info or pruning recommendations would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Thumbnail by Mraur Thumbnail by Mraur Thumbnail by Mraur Thumbnail by Mraur Thumbnail by Mraur
Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

I agree that some look more like rubs, and some look more like nibbles.
I see you have fencing- for deer? Do you have other wildlife that can make it over or under the fencing? Rabbits can nibble bark, though usually they work on the lowest part of the tree, they can reach about 2 feet if the stand on their hind legs.

Squirrels??? I do not know that they nibble.

Voles- Usually really close to the ground. They do not climb if they can get food lower down.

Could deer have been at them?

How did you transport them? Could 2 of them have rubbed together on the way home?

Colchester, VT(Zone 4b)

Hi Diana, thanks for your response!
Yes, I put up some deer netting - so far, the deer have left them alone and I put wire collars around the bases in case rabbits get any ideas. I brought them home in the back of a truck, so they definitely could have rubbed against each other in transit - though I know some of the trees had some rubs, lesions, and nibbled spots before I even brought them home. I'm just wondering if these might heal themselves or if it's better to prune back the damaged areas and let the tree start over?

The pears worry me a bit more as they seem to have more lesions and I worry it might be fireblight or some other bacterial or fungal disease causing the splitting bark. Would these be considered "cankers"?

Thumbnail by Mraur

If the rub or other damage encircles the branch then that branch is compromised.
Here is how I decide:
100% girdled- it is dead. Cut it off into good wood, or at the trunk.
>50% (but not 100%) girdled- Survival is risky, better the plant puts its energy into sprouting a new bud than trying to heal this big a problem.
< 50% girdled- it might make it. Clean up ragged or lose bark, and keep it clean.

Do not spray or paint these with anything sold as pruning paint or anything like it.
In season, you will probably be spraying dormant sprays, perhaps summer sprays for insects or diseases common in fruit trees. This is enough 'treatment' for minor wounds.

Colchester, VT(Zone 4b)

Thank you, Diana! Very helpful - I will use this as a general guide for pruning :)

However, there is a new development - after a big wind and rainstorm, some leaves on the pears are turning black and curling, so I am worried this may be fireblight after all. I am new to fruit trees and hoping to maintain these as organically as possible... are there sprays that you would recommend for this? Or perhaps I should prune the pears back heavily to avoid further infection?

I'm glad to see that, for the time being, the apple trees seem to be unaffected.

Thumbnail by Mraur Thumbnail by Mraur Thumbnail by Mraur Thumbnail by Mraur Thumbnail by Mraur

It does have that look.
Better safe than sorry- Prune off the affected parts several inches into good wood (yes, that is a LOT, and disinfect the shears between each cut. Bleach, Lysol...
When you are done wash the shears well to remove the disinfectant (some of them are very hard on the pruners) and oil them well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.