Best Way to Raise Soil Level?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

With all this massive rain we've had, it's become apparent that we have some low-lying areas in our yard and garden bed. What's the best way to raise the soil level? Can I add compost or should I try to get some good quality soil mix? Also, we've got some standing water in the pathways around our garden, I'm assuming from compacted soil. What's the best way to help drainage in these areas?

PS-Blackberry anyone?

Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Figure out where you want to send the water when it does rain before re leveling and filling in. Usually filling just moves the low spots around.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

We've never had this problem in the past. If it would just go away that would be awesome! LOL Thanks for the tip, though.

Fort Worth, TX

I used to have 2 french drains on my garden lot to send the surplus rain to the street. The slotted drain pipe runs less than $10 at home depot. I took them up last year as I am trying to choose a spot to retain rain water due to the drought. My drains, and the slope of the lot, have made it very hard to keep plants on the high end alive. I am using permaculture technique called wales, to keep the water up high, so it soaks in and benefits the plants at the high end, which reduces the pooling at the low end. Since my pear tree has black leaf fungus again for the first time in years, I have GOT to address the drainage issue, and I can't raise the pear, but I can raise a wale above it. Paths sinking I just add more mulch

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

It's a bit too far to run the pipes to the street since we'd have to go under the house. This must be the 100 year flood. lol

Fort Worth, TX

are you at the bottom of a hill or cul de sac or your house sits lower than neighbors?

If so, and if you aren't up to a retaining wall, build an earthen wale or mound that is a couple of inches taller than where you would like the water to go.

more ideas can be found with search engines:
http://www.permies.com/t/6641/permaculture/Living-flood-zone

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

No, I just need to know what's the best thing to use to fill these low areas in my veggie garden. Compost? Soil/Compost mix? Just trying to figure that out.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Mix, soil and compost, like a fallow field ready to be planted later since its a veggie bed.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Kitt. I just need to find some good soil to add to it.

Fort Worth, TX

Rocky's Stone in Mansfield has really nice garden soil for $45 a yard. I think it is 45% mushroom compost. my 6 yard pile has been rained on daily since it got here and it is still standing.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

We got some stuff from them last year. We just need some dry weather now.

Fort Worth, TX

Today is looking good, before more rain. Pulled the weeds out of the very soft garden for the last couple of days (about 6 wheelbarrow loads).... now to move some dirt. My pear tree is still alive. going to put sand over by it to raise it a little

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I know the feeling.

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Fort Worth, TX

your weeds are short. I had 3 ft high wild carrot still blooming, a couple of weed grasses, and vetch, crown vetch with closed seed pods. Wanted them out before the seeds fell. Soft ground perfect for pulling, but I was not joking about 6 wheelbarrow loads of weeds. Your lilies are gorgeous

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

In said garden that needs some soil added in places, we harvested a bumper crop of weeds today. :) It's already misting out there and humid. More rain is definitely on the way.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

We simply mow the middles, every 2 days it looks like. That red lily isnt sitting in a puddle, its where I scooped the sand away and water filled it. The water table is that close to the top right now. We burn, plants regenerate too fast..

Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

I have aerated my areas & on the others with huge puddles I put down soil & manure so that mosquitoes don't breed. has worked out well...except weeds are growing instead of grass so I guess the rain killed what little I had ...hahahaha.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.