Red spots

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

My mom has given me some of her plants that she calls Sun Drops (i believe its evening primrose). Im just curious if the red spots coming up on the leaves are a sign of a problem starting? (disease, or nutrient deficiency perhaps?)

Thumbnail by jmc1987
Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

As far as I know the red spots on Oenothera and closely related plants are normal.

Ayrshire Scotland, United Kingdom

It could be the start of Powdery Mildew, I would be inclined to nip off the damaged leaves as the Mildew can spread, nipping off these leaves wont cause any damage as the plant is now growing well.
Burn the damaged leaves so you dont let this spread to other plants AND wash your hands after handling the mildewy leaves.

I'm not sure of the "Evening Primrose" Oenothera except they are quite tender plants, all have lovely flowers that are very like tissue paper, they don't like wet soil BUT need plenty water when they are in hot dry soil.
IF you plant it outside in the garden, add plenty of humus / compost to the planting hole as this will help add air into the soil and allows the soil to hold onto a little moisture when watered or rain arrives. they like a nice sunny position and when summer ends, you can cut the plant down unless you want it to seed it'self, IF you get cold winters, adda 2 inch of mulch over the rooted area.

Hope this helps you out a little and good luck.
WeeNel.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.