Bergenia 'Pink Dragonfly'

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

My new favorite, planted last summer. They are done blooming now, but stayed in bloom well over 2 months. Totally trouble free. These are in clay/builders rubble at the top of a rock wall on a slope. Mostly sunny but some midday shade from a smokebush (the lime green new leaves in the last pic). Neglected but seem happy. These photos are from about 2 weeks ago, the show is now over.

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Taking note -they're very pretty! What's funny is, looking at the thumbnails, your photos seemed to be of three foot high bushes, lol. Guess not, huh? Do you get a sense if they prefer either the sun or the shade?

They are actually a bit on the small side for a Bergenia, blooms maybe about 14-16' or so.
These are in mostly sun, a bit of light shade on one midday from a shrub, then late afternoon shade from the house. Both are doing well. Around here, people seem to plant other Bergenias everywhere-sun or shade. I have planted a few varieties in different locations, will report back in a year or two how they are doing.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Great.

Bellevue, WA(Zone 8a)

I have one in a pot that I need to plant out. I'm glad to hear the positive review.

I had about a 55' long wave of Bressingham Pink, but I found it to kind of melt away in the winter wet, and it didn't really get winter color, so I took it out and replaced it with 'Winter Glow'. I'm happier with it so far, but it will be a few years before it fills in well.

The other cultivar I have experience with us 'Lunar Glow'. It is a small to medium size with really great color variations in the leaves. Including pink and almost white. When I bought it, there was one leaf that was half green and half cream in a lengthwise split. I planted it in close to full sun in a somewhat dry location and I realized that it really wasn't expanding (after 3 years), so I dug it up and potted it for some rehab time.

Could we see a pic of these?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.