ISO nurseries, garden centers near Luray Virginia

Laurel, MD(Zone 7a)

The swap sounds like lots of fun but Mike and I are going to be on vacation the entire week so I could not attend. I would really like it if some of you who live in the area of Luray could point me in the direction of a nursery with good selections and good prices. We have vacationed there before but haven't seen any nurseries and I thought if some of you who live out that way have any favorite places to shop. I sure would appreciate any help you could offer. Thanks.
Shirley Carroll

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thinking that "Edible Landscaping" might be down that way...http://ediblelandscaping.com/

Laurel, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks for a response. No one else seems to know anything.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I was looking into a trip down that way myself, maybe during fall foliage. :-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

checked mapquest... edible landscaping is further south, in Afton.

weber's might be en route for you, in Winchester.

Seems I remember a concrete place people really rave about down in southern VA, will post again if I can recall the name!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

found it by looking for Hart's old posts!

Harper's in Harrisonburg, VA

http://www.harperslawnornaments.com/

Laurel, MD(Zone 7a)

We are definitely going to Harper's! Thanks! I will look into Weber's.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Also consider stopping at the Museum of the Shenendoah (also in Winchester I think)... I was reading about it, and it's an old estate with lovely gardens as well as exhibits in the mansion.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

You might post a link in the plant addict's thread or the your neck of the woods thread on this forum... I know sometimes I just click on my watched threads and forget to check for new ones. :-)

Laurel, MD(Zone 7a)

You are and always were a dear, sweet person.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, but I'm not being entirely altruistic on this thread... I want to know more about nurseries down that way too! ;-)

Laurel, MD(Zone 7a)

We ended up going to Kim's Greenhouses only. I had written down that name as a place to check but decided not to go.One afternoon, we drove to a place called Blue Ridge Botanicals in Castleton. I was really looking forward to it. It's in the boonies and really looked interesting. HOWEVER, the gates were locked when we arrived and didn't see anyone around any of the buildings. We drove quite a while to find it and although I had a phone number for them, there was no cell service. We finally gave up and left after sitting a while. When we got back to the cabin, I tried to call them again only to get an answering machine saying to leave a number and they would call us back.Since we had no cell phone service and had called on the cabin phone, I just gave up. I did manage to go to Harpers and got some decorations for the garden. I love that place! We go whenever we are in the area. We accidentally rode past Kim's when we were on our way to Harpers. We stopped and I got some sedums. Decided to just go back to PA to Groff's and Black Creek. We do go up there every year. And Marian Martin's as well. Can't beat them.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Buttoneer has mentioned some really great nurseries up her way (Lancaster area) in PA, but of course now I can't remember the names, although Marian Martin's sounds really familiar.

I haven't been to Harpers, but I really want to go there! Good to know about Kim's Greenhouse on the way. :-)

Blue Ridge Botanicals... that location sounds like when a friend and I drove out to Sandy Mush many years ago (before GPS)... talk about off the beaten path! They were home when we finally found it, though, and we had a great tour of the greenhouses... it's where I first encountered scented geraniums.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Just saw this thread. Also in Castleton is Hill House Farm & Nursery, a well established nursery for native plants of all sorts. Janet Davis, Owner is very knowledgeable as well as personable. http://www.hillhousenativeplants.com/home

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

thanks, GT! I'll be looking this thread up when we head down that way.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.